Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZCherub

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
GA, USA
Downloaded an SMS tone from Cydia. This should be simple, so I'm 98.632% positive that I'll feel like an idiot when one of you clears this up for me, but:

How do I get it to work. I apply it via winterboard (it does not show up in the regualr sound settings menu). Whatever I have selected via sound settings (even "none") seems to override the tone selected in winterboard. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks!

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
Downloaded an SMS tone from Cydia. This should be simple, so I'm 98.632% positive that I'll feel like an idiot when one of you clears this up for me, but:

How do I get it to work. I apply it via winterboard (it does not show up in the regualr sound settings menu). Whatever I have selected via sound settings (even "none") seems to override the tone selected in winterboard. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks!

The best way to see how to do this is download "Tweet SMS" from Cydia and see how they do it.

S-

f4780y

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2009
Troon, Scotland

Thanks!

Depending on the theme you installed it will have replaced one or all of the built in sounds. Select them one by one to find out which...
Themes don't add new sounds to the list. They always just replace the stock ones.

If that doesn't work the theme may be broken. Try another from cydia.

ZCherub

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
GA, USA
Depending on the theme you installed it will have replaced one or all of the built in sounds. Select them one by one to find out which...
Themes don't add new sounds to the list. They always just replace the stock ones.

If that doesn't work the theme may be broken. Try another from cydia.

That makes sense, thanks! Unfortunately in my case, this is not a tone that came with the theme I currently have enabled. I downloaded this tone separate from my theme.

My "default" SMS tones appear (and sound) like they are still stock. I am interested in having the single SMS tone that I DL'd from Cydia function (sound) whenever I receive a new SMS...

Any more help would be appreciated (although I suppose I could simply move the new SMS sound file into one of the stock tones positions, I'd really rather not remove/replace a stock tone if I don't have to).

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
That makes sense, thanks! Unfortunately in my case, this is not a tone that came with the theme I currently have enabled. I downloaded this tone separate from my theme.

My "default" SMS tones appear (and sound) like they are still stock. I am interested in having the single SMS tone that I DL'd from Cydia function (sound) whenever I receive a new SMS...

Any more help would be appreciated (although I suppose I could simply move the new SMS sound file into one of the stock tones positions, I'd really rather not remove/replace a stock tone if I don't have to).

ToneFXs "replaces" various stock sounds with ringtones of your choosing--I believe it doesn't affect the stock files. BiteSMS has SMS ringtone replacement built in (including support for custom contact ringtones) in their current beta, which should be in regular release fairly shortly. That one definitely doesn't replace the stock sounds; I've been using it for over a month, and I still use stock sounds for certain contacts. Obviously both of these do a lot more than just replace a single tone, but I know a lot of people here use one or both of these apps rather than SSH'ing in replacements for the stock SMS tones.

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
ZCherub,

Did you look at the theme I suggested you download? If you had, you would have your answers. It would show you how to to build a theme that not only replaced sounds but would rename them in the Settings app.

Just replacing a sound is simple:

Create a folder with any old name like "SomeName.theme". Put a folder inside of it called "UISounds". Inside of that, put a .caf file in that folder with name "sms-received6.caf".

SomeName.theme --> UISounds --> sms-received6.caf

Now you have a theme that will replace the last text message sound, "Electronic", with one of your own. It will keep the old name though.

Place this new theme in "/Library/Themes/", select in WinterBoard, and respring.

Select "Electronic" in "New Text Message" sounds and you are ready to go.

S-

jmcclain145

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
Atlanta, GA
ZCherub,

Did you look at the theme I suggested you download? If you had, you would have your answers. It would show you how to to build a theme that not only replaced sounds but would rename them in the Settings app.

Just replacing a sound is simple:

Create a folder with any old name like "SomeName.theme". Put a folder inside of it called "UISounds". Inside of that, put a .caf file in that folder with name "sms-received6.caf".

SomeName.theme --> UISounds --> sms-received6.caf

Now you have a theme that will replace the last text message sound, "Electronic", with one of your own. It will keep the old name though.

Place this new theme in "/Library/Themes/", select in WinterBoard, and respring.

Select "Electronic" in "New Text Message" sounds and you are ready to go.

S-

As mentioned previously, a easier way just to edit the sounds for specific alerts is ToneFX, I use that and it allows you easily to mix and match various theme sounds. You can even shuffle your ringtones, which is kinda nice.

It isn't free but it is well worth it IMHO.

ZCherub

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
GA, USA
Thanks, JMcClain, Sidewinder, and IrishVixen.

Sidewinder: I did look at your previous post, thanks. It makes sense, but as I stated above, I would rather not completely replace a stock tone ("Electronic" in your example) if I don't have to. I will definitely keep this in mind, though.

JMcClain / Vixen: ToneFX sounds like the way to go for simplicities' sake. I appreciate the input!

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
Sidewinder: I did look at your previous post, thanks. It makes sense, but as I stated above, I would rather not completely replace a stock tone ("Electronic" in your example) if I don't have to. I will definitely keep this in mind, though.

The method I suggest does not replace any file on the iPhone. It does make the original sound inaccessible. But then so does ToneFX which you have to pay for. Once you have setup one WinterBoard theme to do this, it will be easy....

S-

ZCherub

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
GA, USA
The method I suggest does not replace any file on the iPhone. It does make the original sound inaccessible. But then so does ToneFX which you have to pay for. Once you have setup one WinterBoard theme to do this, it will be easy....

S-

I see - thanks. I'll try it that way, too (as it turns out, I already had ToneFX purchased and just comletely forgot about it).

navigates

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Is there a place to get a collection of some nice professional tones. What do some of us folks use?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.