SMS tones in Winterboard from Cydia not working???

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by iMrNiceGuy0023, Oct 6, 2009.

1. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

I've tried many SMS tones from Cydia that I have enabled in Winterboard and none work when I get a sms

When I go to Settings>Sounds>New Text Message I can hear the custom SMS tone I selected, but the sound doesnt play when I get a SMS, any idea what im doing wrong??

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    If you can't figure it out, you should just do it via SSH. :)

3. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

Same problem for me here-sorry to bring up an old subject.

When I install them and then activate them in Winterboard, I still only hear whatever sound I have selected from the settings/sounds selection.

I assumed these would either override the settings/sounds or add a selection there. Neither one has happened.

How do you use these SMS tones from Cydia?

4. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

How old is the Cydia app?

With the release of firmware 3.0, Apple renamed the SMS stuff to "Messages".

Perhaps that is why the app no longer works !

5. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

I tried using the Call of Duty SMS tones (maybe a week or two ago) and they wouldnt even play in the sounds settings. Sad :(.

6. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

These SMS tones are not applications, they are just sound files, so I think it shouldn't matter what OS version it is.

However, I still don't get i-there should be a way to at least hear them. I can't even figure out how to do that :(

7. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

Still waiting for a reply on this-does anyone know how to make Cydia SMS tones work?

8. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

I have SMS tones working. If NONE of the sms tones you try in cydia work, then youre in trouble.

9. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

I have only tried a couple. What do you mean in trouble if none of them work?

10. xlink macrumors newbie

Solution

SOLVED:

It wasnt working for me until I remembered how to manually do it. When you manuall SSH, you need to rename your file to the same name as one of the 6 sms tones in the appropriate folder, therefore I figured that winterboard was just renaming the downloaded sms to one of the 6 default sms tones. Long story short, enable the SMS you want on Winterboard and then click through the sms tones in Settings>Sounds, until you hear the one you downloaded. In my case it was Chime.

Hope this helps.

XLink

11. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

SSH is the only current way to do this. When Apple changed SMS to Messages, all the WB methods ceased to work.

12. abaileyb macrumors newbie

care to elaborate please?
    The current name of the tone i would like to use is sms-received6.caf and its in the folder UISounds in a folder nextextsound.theme and it works in settings but not when i recieve a text

thanks

Bwo

13. lonnielove macrumors regular

14. wardmd macrumors newbie

You DON'T need SSH (try DiskAid)

While you certainly CAN use SSH, you can ALSO use DiskAid (which I do) which gives you a Windows' Explorer-like interface into the iPhone (I'm using it on my iPhone 4 with no problems).
    http://www.digidna.net/products/diskaid

15. walgman macrumors newbie

Find the tone in cydia. Activate in winterboard. Winterboard will replace an existing tone with the new tone. The name will remain the same. In my case "chime" is now my new tone. No SSH necessary.

16. iNurse11 macrumors newbie

17. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

SSH File Transfer Protocol installed as OpenSSH via Cydia

Google is your friend.

18. iNurse11 macrumors newbie

Thanks