Sms tones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shandyman, Sep 18, 2010.

1. shandyman Suspended

So, with being able to assigning sms tones to contacts in 4.2 beta, is this a sign that there will also be custom SMS tones? could it be that using custom SMS tones is hidden from the beta so it doesn't get leaked? cannot remember how it worked with custom ringtones the first time round. since ringtones are their own file format, could be that SMS tones has it's own one too?

i know, mostly hypothetical, but seems a bit odd that they added being able to use different SMS tones for a contact but not have custom tones as well...

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

It would be nice to have custom SMS tones, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. We'll just have to wait and see.

3. shandyman thread starter Suspended

well the fact we're getting assignable SMS tones is a good start and surely if they're messing about with the coding for that, then they could be opening it up to custom tones too, it's got to be very similar coding to the ringtone ones...

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

All that is true, however, it still doesn't mean that custom SMS tones are coming any time soon.

5. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

It's anybodies guess really. I think it's a step in the right direction though like you said. Also of note, they removed the option to buy ringtones on the iTunes store, so maybe they are getting ready for a new feature in iTunes for doing ringtones (and SMS tones as well).

Or maybe not….

6. ljx718 macrumors 6502

hate it so much to get a text in a public place.

7. chembox macrumors 6502a

*Tri-tone sound*

*Everyone with an iPhone pulls out their phone*

It's like a little kid screaming 'mommy', and it happens every time.

8. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I know, I do the same thing every time I hear someone elses too, lol....

9. londoner888 macrumors regular

londoner888

I feel you.
    This is SO annoying

10. Martinsalas310 macrumors regular

i just jailbreak and use tonefxs and change the sms sound and hit the volume button to pause my ringtone from txt..and that program has the option to shuffle ringtones:)

11. shandyman thread starter Suspended

not everyone wants to jailbreak, especially not just for that. i never said i was unhappy, just saying it will be nice to have it. am perfectly pleased with 4.1. it's frustrating when people come on and have nothing contstructive to say apart from "oh just jailbreak..."

if i wanted to jailbreak, i would have already or i'd go to the hacks section....

12. Martinsalas310 macrumors regular

well sorry for frustrating u but thats just my solution..but anyways what ive found out is that the custom sms by default on 4.2 just lets u change the txt for other people but u can only pick the ones that are on the phone already not music.

13. shandyman thread starter Suspended

i never actually asked for a solution. i was just hypothesising that 4.2 will enable custom text tones. i know that you can only use the ones that are already there at the moment, i already read all that, i was hypothesising that it could be part of custom tones, just like custom ringtones. that's all my post was....

14. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

I don't understand what the all this hate is on a jailbreak. Especially since it took under 2 minutes AND all you had to do was visit a website. But since I'm jailbroken I loaded a few custom SMS tones which is nice.

15. chembox macrumors 6502a

4.1 doesn't have a jailbreak, yet. :(

I'm hoping that the devteam is working to jailbreak 4.2 beta just in time for it's public release.

16. shandyman thread starter Suspended

it's not hate, i just choose not to do it as i don't want to and i am fed up and starting to hate people shoving it down peoples throats to do it when any single question is asked, look at most threads asking about a feature or something and there's a response saying "just jailbreak.." on the first page. I like using an unjailbroken phone, i have no need to jailbreak. i'm perfectly content being able to download the newest version of the OS and use it fine....