SMS while traveling?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcdj, Jun 8, 2010.

1. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

I'm England bound with my fiancee in a couple of days. We'll be there for 11 days. There will be times when we want to text eachother as we're out and about.

AT&Thief has an international SMS "package"...a whopping 50 messages for $10. Apparently they don't charge for incoming, so the 50 are outgoing.

My question is, if I don't intend to pay for an international data plan, and want to keep 3G off, will I be able to just use SMS without accruing any other hidden roaming or data fees?

gracias

2. mcdj thread starter macrumors G3

mcdj

None of you fine citizens have ever SMS'd overseas with the $10 plan?

3. Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    Possible Alternative

Hey there...I will also be in London for two months this summer. Due to my prolonged stay in the UK I will be getting a pay-as-you-go phone; however, have added standard international roaming to my plan ($1.29/minute).

As far as texting goes, have you considered WhatsApp (or similar)? I purchased it ($.99) and it works great. Unlimited texting over Wi-Fi. Not sure if that may help.

Just got off the phone with AT&T. I have the Unlimited Family plan and it is no cost to receive text messages (just goes toward my Unlimited Plan) and 50 cents to send a text message.

Good luck.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you're just going to send SMS, just get the 100 messages for $9.99 plan. That's 100 text messages.

Receiving is only free if you already have unlimited domestic text; otherwise you will be charged for each received text or be deducted from your domestic messaging plan.

Personally I'd pick up a pre-paid SIM card locally and use that. Will probably be cheaper.