General SMS with iPad

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by cclloyd, Nov 22, 2012.

1. cclloyd macrumors 68000

cclloyd

So is there any tweak to have all my text messages sync with my iPhone with the default SMS app?

If not, is there a good cydia app that can do so?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

3. bushbabywas, Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012

bushbabywas macrumors member

edit: i see people on the thread posted above have mentioned WifiSMS. Remote Messages is a new development, but the same issues mentioned on that thread are still present.

if your iphone is jailbroken (which your sig suggests), you could use either the free WifiSMS or the new (but not free) Remote Messages. Both of them set up a sort-of (unsecure) server that allows you to access and send messages off your phone via a webbrowser for a device on the same wifi network, using the phone's IP address + a specific port number.

http://planet-iphones.com/cydia/id/org.thebigboss.wifisms
    http://planet-iphones.com/cydia/id/co.uk.beastsoft.remotemessages

WifiSMS, which I've been using for a long time is great, but rarely updated by the dev. Crucially, it doesn't support sending or receiving texts via imessage. I haven't tried Remote Messages (and haven't seen any reviews of it yet), but its main selling point over WifiSMS appears to be imessage support.

Hope that helps, I'd be interested to see how you get along.

4. cclloyd thread starter macrumors 68000

cclloyd

Yea neither of those are what I'm looking for. I'm looking more for a way to have my phone forward all messages to and from my ipad so I can use it to message as if I were on my phone, but they would probably at least need to be on the same network, or tethered.

5. bushbabywas macrumors member

just in case I've misread you or I wasn't clear: using either of those apps you *can* send and receive messages via safari on your ipad.

and i think you might be able to access the browser SMS interface remotely; i.e. on your ipad, from a different network to your phone.

please ignore if i made that clear and that's still not what you wanted.

6. guitarmandp macrumors 6502

Your answer is setting up a Google Voice account and getting the Talkatone app.

For $20 you can port your old number over to google voice

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

For text with GV the OP wouldn't even need Talkatone. The GV app itself covers messaging. With GV just about any browser can be used to send/receive. I use it all the time at work.