SMS with "Titles" become MMS on O2

phelly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Has anyone else noticed this?
If you turn on "Titles" in the SMS setup section.
Then send a simple text SMS message
It arrives as a MMS message.
Presumeably it is also billed as an MMS as well.

Reactions: mplungjan

Shoot

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2008
Has anyone else noticed this?
If you turn on "Titles" in the SMS setup section.
Then send a simple text SMS message
It arrives as a MMS message.
Presumeably it is also billed as an MMS as well.
that's because they are mms'. sms cannot have any formatting, its simply plain text at 140 characters. mms are more like email with titles and such. if you turn on titles and leave no title in your message it should send as a sms but i am not entirely sure on that behavior.

phelly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Ok thanks. Worth being aware of though. Otherwise you'd go through the allowence 4x quicker without knowing

phelly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Also - on my last Phone (Sony-Ericson) - you could have titles on SMS messages.

mplungjan

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2017
The Hague
that's because they are mms'. sms cannot have any formatting, its simply plain text at 140 characters. mms are more like email with titles and such. if you turn on titles and leave no title in your message it should send as a sms but i am not entirely sure on that behavior.
It does send as an sms. This is still a problem in 2017. I removed the subbject from the mms section in the messaging settings

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Perhaps but not as expected when sending to an Android phone. It should not show green for iMessage
You can't send iMessages to Android so it would send as regular text messaging which would appear as green. Not sure what that has to do worth the whole subject field aspect of it.

Reactions: Applejuiced

mplungjan

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2017
The Hague
You can't send iMessages to Android so it would send as regular text messaging which would appear as green. Not sure what that has to do worth the whole subject field aspect of it.
Never mind. I was just irritated that subject is default and mms is forced. Extra costs and rejections when the receiver does not allow mms.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Never mind. I was just irritated that subject is default and mms is forced. Extra costs and rejections when the receiver does not allow mms.
It's not the default though and nothing is forced. There are options for it all in settings for Messages.

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
Pretty sure SMS character limit is 160

It's not twitter. ;)

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
That's a nearly-eight-year-old comment, to which you've responded. Did Twitter exist then?
Whoops... regardless, the character limit was/is the same.

What is it with these old threads getting revived recently? Shame on me for not checking the date on the post to which I responded, but I feel like I keep seeing years-old threads getting bumped to the first pages on the boards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.