Smtp server app ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bramstoker, Aug 5, 2012.

1. bramstoker macrumors newbie

I have my own domain and i used to send mail from my xp box using the smtp server, is there any way to replicate this on my iMac? I am currently using my
    gmail account to send out, but this send my domain emails as if they were from my gmail account. Any apps out there people can reccommend or is there a way to do this in 10.8 ?

Cheers

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

3. bramstoker thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi
    Cheers for that, seems a little OTT just to send out a few emails, anything a little simpler?

Cheers

4. matspekkie macrumors member

apple mail setup

If it were possible to send them with xp the same is possible within apple mail.
    in preferences (apple mail if that is the used mail client) go to accounts and change the outgoing smtp server for that account most preferably use only this server. Mind you you may have to set the account settings properly (ports ssl/non ssl username password) according to the mailserver of your domain.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I know it looks like a lot, all it does is unlock the OS server tools already on your Mac. If all you want to use is Mail server, you can just use that and nothing else. There are lots of UNIX mail servers that will work on OS X also, but I have no experience with them to make a recommendation.

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

^ This. It's pretty standard for nearly every email client out there (Mac or not).

If you lost the SMTP settings then request them from your email provider.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I think you are missing OP's point. He wants to run his own mail SERVER. This has nothing to do with the Mail client.

8. bramstoker thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Weaselboy, i think i may have to try the server route.

Cheers

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Please post up how it works out. I'm curious now. :)

10. bramstoker thread starter macrumors newbie

Im a bit :eek: about doing it to be honest was hoping for more of a plugin app type thing to be honest, i cant believe theres not a demand for this type of thing.

11. cvaldes, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012

cvaldes macrumors 68040

12. bramstoker thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks cvaldes, that could be what im after,I'm a little weary of trying to much as im new to the mac so used to playing with these type of things in windows.