Smudge Under Screen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chizzled, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Chizzled macrumors member

Hey, I've had my 3GS for almost two months now and have taken good care of it. The other day I noticed a smudge on my screen protector and tried wiping it off. It wouldn't come off at all. I looked a little closer and realized it was coming from under the glass.

Anybody else run into something like this? It isn't dust or a scratch. Let me know what you guys think and if Apple would replace or clean under my screen over something like this.

Kinda annoying when my eyes keep drawing towards that corner now.

Attached Files:

• d.JPG
      d.JPG
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
  2. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

That would annoy me to no end! Take it back and get it replaced. It's not supposed to do that.

3. jambobowron macrumors regular

jambobowron

i had this once... i think i had some excess fluid left under my screen protector when i put it on (i dont know if yours is like mine) but all i did was took a pin and pricked through the screen protector where the smudge/fluid was and let it escape. that fixed it up and the pin didn't leave a mark on the screen. thats how i sorted mine yours may not be the same...

4. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Yikes - isn't the whole point of the screen protector that it will, ya know, protect from a pin prick?

5. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Umm... I don't see a screen protector in his photo. Wouldn't you see a ring around the home button if it was wearing a screen protector?

6. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

He had a screen protector on, read his post.

I could be wrong but it looks like he does have one on still, some screen protectors are close to the circle so they only look raised, you don't always see a ring.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Okay, I don't have my TheSpaz glasses, because I see nothing wrong with your screen. :)

I'm serious. You actually see something in that pic???

8. avediswolf macrumors regular

avediswolf

My 1st iPhone 3G, I had smudges under the glass that you could easily see under a bright light. I brought it in to Apple, and they saw them as well and replaced it on the spot.

9. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I'm thinking that he took the screen protector off to see if the smudge was under the protector or if it was under the actual glass. It's really hard to get screen protectors on perfect, so you'd most likely see a little mis-registration there in the photo.

10. Chizzled thread starter macrumors member

The picture I took is with the screen protector off. I use a Power Support Anti Glare and it doesn't require any fluid when applying it onto the screen.

The smudge may have been there the entire time and I just never noticed it. It caught my attention the other day in broad day light.

The only thing I could imagine it possibly being is a dried up water mark. I'm a firefighter, and the other day I was soaked with sweat after a drill. I put my phone in my pocket and when I pulled it out the case was a little damp. Maybe, somehow, some condensation got under the screen and left a mark?

Anyhow, I guess I'll bring it to a genius and let them figure it out.

Thanks for your replies. I wasn't sure if I was the only one who would let this bother them.

11. kristalks macrumors newbie

kristalks

i have this

i have an other strange thing under the glass

PS don't use screen protector

Attached Files:

12. kristalks macrumors newbie

kristalks

i have this...

i have an other strange thing under the glass

PS don't use screen protector

13. ultimateceej macrumors regular

ultimateceej

I have some stuff under my screen also. I was considering turning the phone off and flushing deionized water through it then letting it dry with some rice or something. But then I realized that it doesn't really bother me so I just left it.

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Would someone please tell me where this smudge is they're talking about is. I know it's supposed to be in the white circle, but it makes me think I'm blind or something, since I just don't see it. It looks just like the rest of the area around it.

15. ultimateceej macrumors regular

ultimateceej

Hint: the white circle doesn't completely surround the smudge. Look at the area just around it.

16. Chizzled thread starter macrumors member

The mark is inside the white circle I drew. It's much easier to see when the sunlight is shining on the screen. I didn't notice it until the other day, but now I see it all the time.

I spoke to a Genius and he said they will take a look at it. I dont want a new phone, and the guy said they shouldn't have to replace it if all they need to do is clean under the glass.

I went ahead and colored the mark red so you can see what I am talking about.

Attached Files:

• d.JPG
      d.JPG
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
    • e.JPG
      e.JPG
      File size:
      1 MB
      Views:
  17. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Well, now I finally see it. Thanks. I guess everyone else did the first time. :eek:

18. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Indeed. They'll replace it for you, no problem!!

19. cobaltchroma macrumors regular

cobaltchroma

i have those all over my *once* replaced 3G, not to mention a dead pixel, light leak all over, and some dust under the glass too. looks like another drive to my apple store is in order. thank god its only 20 minutes away. ;)