Smudges on the screen?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by aaron580, May 8, 2012.

1. aaron580, May 8, 2012
    Last edited: May 8, 2012

aaron580 macrumors member

Hey guys. Just picked up a used iMac yesterday and love it so far but I have one issue. There seems to be smudges on the screen. I thought at first I thought it was just on the glass but I tried wiping it off and its still there. Ive attached a pic of it. What do you guys think? I don't know how much warranty is left on it.

EDIT: specs are 21.5" 3.06 i3

Attached Files:

2. firemedicmark macrumors 6502

ugh, find out how much is left on the warranty and make an apt

3. Fuchal macrumors 68020

You can try wiping the inside of the glass, if it really looks like fingerprints. If it looks like black, dark smudges, it's probably the LCD panel and needs replacement.

4. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

Hate to tell you but this is a common and well known problem. (Although Apple won't admit it.)

Just search for iMac and "dust". The problem is dust getting in, between the backlight and the LCD panel. It can be fixed, but it's pretty scary to do it yourself and it will likely come back again anyway. It's one of the main reasons I am not risking buying a 2011 iMac right now.

5. aaron580, May 8, 2012
    Last edited: May 8, 2012

aaron580 thread starter macrumors member

Wow my day was just ruined :( . There is no warranty left on it. You guys think apple might be gracious if I brought it in? I mean no telling what would happen but Ive never actually needed any warranty work done on any of my macs ive ever owned.

Is there a guide or has somebody taken apart the LCD? If I can see how to do it Id try that.

Figures something like this would happen with my first iMac. Wish i had done more research.

6. John T, May 9, 2012
    Last edited: May 9, 2012

John T macrumors 68020

John T

Just a modicum if accuracy needed here ;)

1) Dust behind the glass can be a problem when the iMac is used in dusty environments, i.e. bedrooms. It is certainly not a common problem.

2) As stated by Fuchal, the external glass panel can easily be removed and any dust carefully wiped from the inner surface. Dust doesn't get behind the LCD.

7. omvs macrumors 6502

Mine has dust inside the panel (as other threads have mentioned) - very, very annoying. I thought it was behind the glass, but was bummed to discover it wasn't after pulling the glass out and trying to wipe it off.

I would make an appointment with the genius bar, take it in, and see what they say. I've been treated pretty nicely by the locals here (replaced a bloated battery out of warranty without any questions or prodding) but it probably varies by location and person. Nothing to lose other than some time...

At some point I need to take mine in (got another year+ on AppleCare), but was waiting to see what the new models look like.

8. skuid87 macrumors regular

Mine is in for a repair RIGHT now for this exact same problem. I took it in and they said they'll replace the LCD screen. The genius described the problem as 'bleeding'. Luckily I'm under warranty so it won't cost anything but I've got the repair sheet and the total cost of repair is £379 (27" LCD: £355, Labor: £24).

It's always worth taking it in to see what they say. You've got nothing to lose. But I doubt they'll do this one on good will as it's a very expensive part.

9. aaron580 thread starter macrumors member

Well I just took off the glass and wiped it down but still there. I guess Ill stop by the apple store and have them take a look.

10. MacVibe macrumors regular

11. aaron580 thread starter macrumors member

12. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

I really beg to differ about this. It's a VERY common problem and has affected many people using their iMacs in normal dust free environments. Not that bedrooms should be regarded as particularly dusty!

Here's just one thread about it. There are many such threads.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2300580?start=0&tstart=0

13. John T macrumors 68020

John T

It really depends on how you interpret the word "common". In the context that the word is used, it means "often". You must therefore remember the following. People who report on bulletin boards and forums usually have a specific point to make. Those who don't have problems, obviously don't. Bearing in mind the very many thousands of iMacs that are in use, compared to the total sales, the relatively few that you refer to can hardly be classified as "common".

14. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

We can argue over semantics. What is unarguable is that there are many, many people affected by this problem, who have not been using their iMacs in flour factories. Or bedrooms.

15. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Not so much semantics. More a case of facts. :)

16. diotav macrumors 6502a