Smudges under screen

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jmouse, May 4, 2012.

1. Jmouse macrumors 6502

Hi folks, so I have this new iPad and when I went to put a screen protector on, ( I use a table lamp for this application) guess what I've found, a smudges of 3-4 cms on my top right middle of the screen. Can't wipe it it's certainly under the glass.

Now I didn't really look for it but it kind of shows under the table lamp.
    The rest of the unit i am happy with no dead pixel minimal light bleed.

I think if I put the screen protector on I won't be able to see it.
    Thing is I can have this replace but should I?
    I've went through the exchange cycles before. And am sick of it.
    I tho I got a perfect one but untill I tries to put on a screen protector.

Anyone else has dust, lint, specially smudges like finger swiped a cross the screen mark, on their iPads.

Thanks.

2. jogales macrumors member

Mine has a tiny hair under the glass at one of the edges. I only notice it once in a blue moon. I'll probably get it swapped out at some point during my warranty, but it's not too big a deal. If the smudges aren't too visible, I'd hold on to it for a while longer. Apple will eventually get the quality control sorted out and you'll probably have a better chance of getting one with no blemishes.

Screen Shot 2012-05-05 at 1.30.13 AM.jpg

3. Jmouse thread starter macrumors 6502

Update: got replacement twice and this one is good.
    One has dead pixel out of the box one has few spec of dusts.
    Don't give up exchanging you'll "eventually" get one you will be happy with.

4. Macdude2010 macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

Mine has something very similar to that, i find it insane that those types of things even make it out of the factory, but hair under the screen isn't the worst thing I have seen right out of the box, one i opened looked like it had been scratched with a bunch of low grit sandpaper

5. C5Longhorn macrumors regular

Did they give you a new one or a refurbished unit? I have a piece of dust under mine and I'm trying to decide if I will keep it or exchange it.

If I exchange it, the will give me a refurb not that it matters too much.

6. EarlZ macrumors regular

People will just say you guys are nitpicking and looking for issues that dont exist.

7. C5Longhorn macrumors regular

I probably am. That said, I may exchange it out down the line.

8. jogales macrumors member

I'm not terribly worried about mine, I only notice the hair when I'm reading at the very bottom of a white screen. Apple gave it to me, I can't be too picky :)

9. Jmouse thread starter macrumors 6502

Update, I though I have a perfect unit this time.

However I found a tiny little dent close to the volume key.

Grrr I wanted to keep this one as it has the best screen that I have came along.

Now I would be happy if I get a perfect cosmetic unit. But I am reluctant to have this one replace because of the cycle and such..

My warranty for this unit will run it in 2months.

People who have defects on the aluminium , do you live with it?
    If so teach me how lol.

10. bmacir macrumors 6502

You forgot to take your pills again this morning, didn't you?

just kidding! :p

If it works fine, why would a dent bother you?

11. Jmouse thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea forgot to take my pill. And it's kicking in now.

Why? Because I'm OCD.....

I seriously don't know if I should ..

12. bmacir macrumors 6502

take the pill or exchange the iMac?

----------

Let's put it this way, it it would cost you money, would you bring it in and have it repaired?

if the answer is no, then I guess you should let it go...it's just a dent...

By the way, I don't think a dent would be not eligible for a free replacement, it could be considered accidental damage...

13. Jmouse thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm but I still have light bleed?

14. C5Longhorn macrumors regular

I'm starting to think I should just live with my speck of dust.

15. Doombringer macrumors regular

A tiny dent by the volume rocker is not a huge deal if the glass/screen is in good shape. I wouldn't exchange it. Would a protective case cover the dent in some way? "out of sight, out of mind..."

But dead pixels, dust/smudges/hair under the glass... those are return-worthy. The hair is particularly hilarious, and sad.

16. VFC macrumors 6502a

Foxconn in China should force all the assembly workers to shave their heads; including the women. They abuse them in other ways; shaven heads would fit their other work environment standards.

17. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

And make them shower in lubricant and anti-dandruff shampoo so we don't get skin flakes under our screens!
    ;)

----------

Better yet, fire all of those incompetent pieces of flesh and bring out the terminators to do the work for them.

18. dstar macrumors regular

That's a pubic hair. You have pubic hair stuck in your iPad.

How f'd up is that!

19. Ipadfever macrumors 6502

Ipadfever

If it not that noticeable then yes, if you think about it with bothersome then return it

20. chrisrosemusic1 macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

Have to say I haven't noticed a single cosmetic fault with mine and it was a launch iPad.

Got lucky I suppose cos I did have 3 iPad 2's before I was happy (dead pixels etc).

It comes with the nature of the product though, I have a £1300 13" MBP and there is a slight manufacturing fault in the aluminium by the charger port - looks like it's been cut funny but I never look at it and the machine is perfect so who cares??

I am anal too and strive for perfection but with mass production you're going to struggle to keep up as good quality as we hope for without seriously bumping the prices of things.

I'd live with the tiny dent tbh.

21. Jmouse thread starter macrumors 6502

Update.
    I'm starting to think that those refurbished pads ( ones in brown boxes ) are in lower quality cosmetic wise. They bound to have some imperfections either being scratches, dings, dents on bezel, corner, wifi card. I'm keeping this one with a small ding on the back. Simply because I'm tired on the cycle and it has a pretty good finish beside that. I've gone through many and they ALL have some sort of problems. But funny thing is when I look at those demo ones in stores they are in perfect casing. Well most of them, some does have minor cosmetic damage tho.