Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VanMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2005
Rampaging Tokyo
Hey All.

I have a SmugMug Power account that is up for renewal. I have had no problems with it, but find I dont use it as much as I had hoped. I'm an amateur with first DSLR.

I was thinking of using my mobileme account for publishing photos as I already have one, and save the $59...

I use Aperture 2.x, and have a Canon 30D with various lenses....

I did try a quick photo upload to mobileme from Aperture. I did notice that it compressed image from 3.3MB to 2.3MB.......

Anywho, any input would be appreciated..

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Well MobileMe is a suite of applications that cater to the consumer. SmugMug caters to the photographers who which to show/maintain their images online.

Two totally different market segments. Personally, I have a smugmug for my images, but I also use mobileme for my email.

For photographs, I think there's no comparisons, smugmug beats mobileme hands down. Speed of the servers, backup capabilities, galleries, flexibility.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I use SmugMug to sell my photos. If you're an amateur, I don't think you'll use that feature. If you don't photograph for a living, MobileMe should satisfy most of your needs.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Doesn't Mobileme have general-use webspace for setting up your own homepage? If so, does Aperture export web galleries? You could just display your own photos via your own homepage on MM if you wanted to do it that way, and it would be very easy if Aperture could do it for you.

I do this with LR as it can export web galleries of your pictures and upload them right to a webspace that you define.

Ruahrc

VanMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2005
Rampaging Tokyo
Smugged

Thanks for the replies.

I went ahead and just renewed my SmugMug account.

I like the galleries, and being able to upload fully res pics as a backup. I like my .mac account for mail and contacts, but the pics are not as good as smugmug....

I had a hard drive toast on me last year, and SmugMug was the only location I had certain 'rolls' as a backup. Saved me some memories, so for the $5/month, it is worth it. I'll just try to use it more often to help justify the cost :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.