Smule games like Ocarina on iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MVApple, Sep 20, 2009.

1. MVApple macrumors 6502a

I really want to play the Smule games on my new iPod Touch 3G using the "Blow" method instead of the "touch" method. Obviously the iPod Touch 3G comes with headphones that have a microphone but you have to blow directly into the microphone to get this to work and the only way to do this is to actually put the little microphone into your device which I would rather not do.

I was thinking of buying one of those little microphones that go into the headphone socket but then there would be no sound because the device probably thinks you have headphones inserted.

So is there anyway to force the iPod Touch to output through its speaker even though you have headphones plugged in?

2. Brewerpaul macrumors regular

I'll bet you could use one of these to blow into and listen through (the admittedly tiny/tinny) built in speaker.

http://www.switcheasy.com/products/ThumbTacks/ThumbTacks.php
    Just reread your post and I see what you mean. On the Thumb Tacks page they say : *For iPod Touch2G, ThumbTacks™ requires a third party application, which are freely available for download at the iTunes Store.

Maybe that app does what you want.

3. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

I just bought a touch and really want to play Ocarina when it arrives on Tuesday. I have been searching and while those little mics, like the thumbtack seem ideal, they disable the internal speaker and you can't plug in headphones. The included mic is problematic because it is not in the right place.
    The only reasonably priced solution I have found is http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160363016180&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=006, however I am not sure how well it would work. Does anyone, else have a solution?

4. MVApple thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well that certainly looks like a solution but its HUGE. Personally, I went to the Smule boards and requested them to add "speaker mode" to their applications. I was told that in Skype theres a "speaker mode" that lets you insert an external microphone and still have the speaker output the sound. This would be the perfect solution and I can't imagine it would take much effort on Smule's part to add such a basic feature.

I'm just going to cross my fingers and hope they release this otherwise I'm done trying to find a solution.

5. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

That would certainly be a nice feature, and I hope they add it.
    Right know there don't seem to be any good solutions, short of just taping the included mic to the bottom of the touch.

6. MVApple thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I sent them an email yesterday and someone replied today. They said they have sent this feature to the engineers but that now that the engineers are not so busy, it'll be moved up on the "wanted" feature list. Let's cross our fingers and hope its quick and easy to implement.

7. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000