SN upgrade: now no desktop icons

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by davegod75, Sep 15, 2009.

1. davegod75 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just upgraded so Snow leopard. Everything went fine except all the icons on my desktop disappeared including the drive icons.

They are still there if browse to the desktop folder via finder.

Via finder preferences, all the boxes for drivers, cd/dvd, etc are still checked but they don't show up.

Also, I cannot click on the desktop anymore to activate the finder menu at the top of the screen.

any ideas?

Thanks

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Snow Leopard removes hard drives' icons from the Desktop by default, but you say that the box to have them appear is checked.

Hmm, try installing it one more time?

3. davegod75 thread starter macrumors newbie

Snow Leopard? That seems extreme. Any ideas on why the documents I had on my desktop are not there? They show up in the finder desktop folder just not on the desktop itself

4. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Step one: try repairing permissions. To do this, go to the Disk Utility program (located in Applications > Utilities). With your hard drive selected, click the button on the right to "Repair Permissions" and restart the computer. See if that does anything.

If not, try going into the Terminal application (also located in Applications > Utilities) and type the following:

Code:
    rm ~/Desktop/.DS_Store
    mv ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist.old
    killall Finder