Snagit for the Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by maflynn, Jan 17, 2010.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Anyone use this, while its in beta, I am intrigued by it. I use snagit for work on my windows workstation and it is an indispensable tool. I have littlesnapper for my mac and it come's close to the ease of use but quite there.

I'm curious as to what others think and/or have experienced so far.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I find that I need a 3rd-party tool only for movie captures on the Mac. Screen capture needs are handled just fine by Mac OS X's built-in tools.

Did you know that...
    • You can capture a window (or the menubar) with Command+Shift+4, then Space, then click what you want captured?
    • You can capture arbitrary areas with Command+Shift+4 too?
    • Adding Option/Alt to a Command+Shift+3 or Command+Shift+4 command sends the screen capture to the clipboard?

3. eldudorinio macrumors member

eldudorinio

This is so cool! Didn't know the space feature

4. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Using the built in ability has it's limitations. Like easy annotations or storing multiple screen shots in a library. Both apps I use do that and snagit also sends the images to any application like word which is really useful when building documentation

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That is true. Also, SnagIt probably makes capturing the entirety of scrolling windows, such as your web browser, much simpler. The built-in screen capture support can't do that.

6. Sparky9292 macrumors 6502a

Snagit for Mac is still beta, and as with Camtasia for Mac, and even worse, they still doesn't have most of the features that the Windows apps do.

To screen capture an entire page, you can use the Firefox extension:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1146

It's a small extension that simply stores the page as a jpg on your desktop.

I'm using SnapzPro -- yes you can use the built in OSX screen capture, but it's still pretty clunky compared to SnapzPro. If you do alot of screen captures (or a movie), SnapzPro is worth the cash.

7. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a