snake feeding views

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dukebound85, Sep 11, 2008.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

first off i have a ball python and i feed him live mice as he doesnt eat the dead ones

now i go on youtube to see how other people feed snakes and am kinda appalled by the comments

most people call the snake owner cruel and that they need serious help and state that they wish they could be in same cage with them so they would beat them up. this view is the majority i see

do people not understand that snakes have to eat? even prebought dead mice still had to be killed at some point

i just guess i dont understand why people are so against feeding snakes

do i enjoy it? no and feel quite disheartened but i also set mice traps in our house as lets face it mive are pests and vermin in your house

what are your views? do you think snake feeding is cruel and if so would you rather kill the snake by starvation?

for all you uk people, i think i read it is illegal to feed live prey to snakes correct?

2. bartelby macrumors Core

My mate feeds live crickets to his geckos. I know someone who feeds live rats to his larger snakes.

I don't think it's illegal as you can buy live prey from reptile shops.

3. Afini macrumors member

Some animals eat other animals, most of the people making comments probably eat meat from animals that were, well, killed.

Was the mouse scared? Probably. Does it matter? No, not really. Dropping a mouse in a blender would be cruel, feeding a snake is feeding a snake.

People that read into it beyond that to the point of wishing harm on a human over it should take a chill pill, there are far more pressing issues in the world. :p

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You are rather stacking the odds against the prey, aren't you? Do you approve of feeding Christians to lions?

5. Afini macrumors member

Yes, its not as it would be in nature, but not much about any scenarios we create are natural.

And I don't consider mice and humans to be in the same boat, and I wouldn't condone throwing any person to lions. :p

6. calculus Guest

calculus

Noah's Ark?

7. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

i know hence why i posed the question

many people set mice traps and have no issue with it. it would be cruel to starve the snake would it not? he cant help that he has to eat animals can he?

you could also pose the same scenario for cows and chcikens and such which are breed for human food

from the posters on youtube, this is the point which they are hypocrites as most probably had chicken nuggets or hamburgers yet think its mean to feed snakes mice

however, equating a mouse's life to a humans is not the same imo

8. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

In this case I wouldn't call the mice 'prey', just 'food'.

We no more prey on cows and pigs than the snake does w.r.t. mice.

9. Aranince macrumors 65816

Agreed. Its perfectly fine, normal, and natural to feed a snake mice, or frogs crickets.

10. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Not that feeding of Christians to lions happened of course.

Way back in the mists of time I shared a house with a snake and it was a toss up wether it would eat the mice immediately or make friends with them and peacefully coexist, sometimes it didn't eat for a couple of months(diamond python)

11. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I don't have a problem with it. I eat meat myself, and hopefully it's not roadkill. (Although, I think that some of the people in these mountains... nevermind.:rolleyes:)

12. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

I see nothing wrong with feeding it food that it would eat normally,
    its when people make a production of out it or are intentionally cruel to the food animal that I am sickened

Like the folks who cut fish before feeding them to pirahanna's
    or the live bleeding animal bait for shark fishing

My neighbour has snakes and he feed fresh still warm mice to them. uses CO2 to kill the mice.

13. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I don't think what snakes eat is a problem keeping them as a pet is somewhat dubious.

14. Afini macrumors member

Well I suppose they did share that boat, but I was just using the figure of speech. :rolleyes:

15. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

why?

16. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I really really want a snake; so do my kids. If my husband wasn’t so against it, I'd have one tomorrow.

17. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I don't believe keeping any wild animal confined is a good idea and I'm not alone:

We do not believe that any amphibian or reptile should be kept as a pet.

Why do we discourage keeping snakes when we are writing a book about them? Snakes are fascinating creatures, and we understand the desire to keep them in captivity. We also know many people who take good care of their snakes, but we have seen too much poor care. Too often, snakes and their kin are viewed as requiring minimum care rather than specialized care. The care provided is often inadequate, and the reptile or amphibian soon dies or experiences ongoing suffering.

Though some pet-trade amphibians and reptiles are now being bred in captivity, the majority still come from wild populations. During transport to pet stores, amphibians and reptiles are typically held and shipped in unsanitary and inhumane conditions. Many die, and most of the survivors arrive in ill health. Furthermore, collecting for the pet trade has drastically reduced many populations. Thus we view the pet trade mainly as an anti-conservation activity.

http://www.reptile-database.org/db-info/snakes_as_pets.html

18. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

How do you feel about the domestication of dogs or cats, then? They must have been wild animals at some point.

I think as long as the pet in question isn't an endangered species, and it has been bred in captivity, then there is no problem in owning it as a pet.

19. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

I will never own a snake. I just don't trust them. But, if in the wild they eat mice and so forth, there is NOTHING cruel about feeding them mice in a cage. In the wild, they help control the rodent population.

20. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Cats and Dogs having been domesticated for thousands of years it's a bit late don't you think.I happen to disagree about keeping what is essentially a wild animal as a pet it's my view you have yours.