Snakes as pets.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jkcerda, Dec 12, 2015.

1. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

who has them? my daughters first snake
    [​IMG]
    Spider ball python, hatched 9/15/15 , just got it today.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

We used to have a king snake when I was in my 20s and first living in NYC. My roommate's boyfriend was working on an advanced degree in herpetology at some university in the southeast, maybe in Georgia, and gave it to her on one of his trips northeast when school was on break. I am not sure what the rules and regs were then about having a king snake, but being in our 20s at that point, it's not like we bothered to check that out. The snake was beautiful. How they move is just amazing. I may have posted about it elsewhere in these forums, but anyway once when we got mice from the local pet store to feed to the snake, one of the mice was not white but brown. We named him Roger. The snake would not eat that mouse for some reason. So, Roger ended up a roommate of the snake, basically, and used to sleep on its coiled-up body. I was sort of surprised ol' Roger didn't croak of cardiac arrest when first meeting his new buddy.

3. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

Having worked in Australia and Africa, I would not have their snakes as pets.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Never had one as a pet, but I really like the one you just got. It is beautiful.

5. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Thanks for the nice pictures.

Properly housed, fed, and cared for, there's a lot to gain from most any pet brought into a household. A great opportunity for parents to increase the time they spend with their children of any age.

So much to learn, and to enjoy, they also consume time that kids might otherwise lose to less education activities. Pets are a very good way for parents to round out their kids education, while providing additional bonding time.

It's win/win all around.

6. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I don't know that I'd like having a python around. I mean these ball pythons are relatively small and supposedly docile, but still. The one in the photos here is really beautiful but when it grows up and is like four, five feet long... I hope you'll make a nice place for it to hang out in. Heh... "a room with a view" would not be required I guess, but they need a place to sort of hide when they feel like it. Otherwise if they are not enclosed in something they may surprise you where they pick to take a break from things for awhile.

7. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

Yes, snakes will find a place to hide out in that can give you a big surprise. We had a black Mamba, (they are actual grey), hide in our UN headquarters building in Rwanda.

8. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

As I was concentrating on the pictures my lightning cable fell from the backrest of the couch across my left arm. FML.

No, no snakes as pets. The only thing I could think of worse are spiders.

image.jpeg

9. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Had a few balls. Great starter snakes for pets. Very docile.

10. Tech198 macrumors G4

neat snakes... nothing like having something slithery.

11. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I had a ball python for years, got it as a small juvenile. Went from feeding it "feeder" mice to two rats at a time. There is something fascinating about watching a snake eat.

They make marvelous pets. You don't have to walk them. You don't have to groom them or show them affection. You don't even have to feed them daily. You do, however, have to keep their habitat clean, because they tend to get smelly.

12. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I had them as a kid and lizards and such. but really they are kind of a dull pet they don't care about you and do so little they loose my test pretty quick. my daughters boyfriend just got his first snake. had a fairy big iguana for several years till he escaped but he needed far more room then we had to give a whole heated room. he hated me but loved my wife.

13. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Many years ago I had a cat abandon a litter of baby kittens in my back yard. A guy came to my door answering my ad in the paper for free kittens. I had three left and was pleasantly surprised when he said he'd take them all. I was suspicious though and when asked he said he was going to feed them to his snake. Oh noooooo you aren't.

14. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

We gave a tarantula to a primary school teacher. She was extremely excited to get it. They did a variety of insects including butterflies, praying mantis and walking sticks. Mealy worms and crickets gross me out.

15. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I'm with you about mealy worms. Yuck! I love crickets though, except when one ends up in my house and decides to get really loud about something (possibly no exit signs?). Man are they ever loud in a quiet house. At least you can usually find them to usher them out the window. They don't even seem to mind being caught up. Funny little things.

16. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

When I was a freshman the guy across the hall had a pet tarantula, Samantha. I guess he only ate every couple weeks or so. He'd fed her some bugs, but he also gave her a small white mouse and a lizard. The most noticeable thing left in her pen afterwards was their tail.

I don't mind mealy worms. I feed them to the family of bluebirds in the back yard. Great birds.