Snap case that does NOT extend past screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by mavis, Aug 29, 2010.

1. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Hey guys,

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any snap cases besides the Incipio Feather which do not extend above/past the top screen ... ? From the product shots of the Elago S4 it appeared as though it didn't protrude, although watching a YouTube review showed clearly that it does ... Does anyone know of any cases which do not cover or extend past the top screen? Cases should be able to kind of latch onto the stainless steel band, right?

2. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

I don't know but I can confirm the S4 does have a little lip over the screen.

3. applekiwipeach macrumors member

Incase Snap-smoke. from the free case program.

Well, it's just slightly above the screen. almost unnoticeable with its thin and transparent material. It latches onto the stainless steel band. I love it.

4. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4 (32GB, JB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

So it does extend slightly past (above) the screen? If so, it's not what I'm looking for. I like being able to wipe my screen off on my shirt without lint and fuzz catching on the lip of the case. I want a case that doesn't extend - even a little bit - above the screen.

5. maverick86 macrumors 6502a

If you don't mind dealing with a subpar company, the IvySkin Reception is perfect for you

6. reebs macrumors 6502

Case mate barely there, has had great reviews if you don't mind the exposed apple logo

7. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

It goes above the screen. Mines on now. I don't mind, if it was there or not because I never set my phone on the side of the screen.

8. meistervu macrumors 65816

All the case I have seen so far has protruding lips for 2 reasons I think:

(1) in their effort to make thinner cases, the material chosen was pretty thin. If they stop at the gap between the metal band and the screen glass, the edge would be pretty sharp to be uncomfortable for your hand to rub against. Case in point: the Incase Snap case. There is a minimal lip, and they tried to round off the top, but the lip is thin enough that it felt uncomfortable to me, like rubbing against the top of a tupperware container.

(2) many people look for a raise lip for screen protection when one put the phone face down.

I found 2 problems with the lips: wiping the screen to clean, and edge gestures (like when you tried to move an app to another page, you have to move it to the extreme edge of the current page). I found it doable with my current Incase Slider. but it's hard.

This design may interest you:

http://www.bioserie.com/product.php?id_product=41

Instead of a lip, they use 4 feet.

9. notez2id macrumors newbie

On mine (smoke version), never noticed it until today, the right side is slightly below the screen and the left side is slightly above the screen. So much for quality control. If it wasn't for the freebie, I would have taken it back.

10. applekiwipeach macrumors member

Did you have back and/side protective shields on? That's usually what happens when it doesn't fit well. I peeled them off and it fits perfectly. It's a very precisely cut case.

11. applekiwipeach macrumors member

Right, it does extend past the screen a tiny bit, but I still wipe the screen on my shirt. It doesn't attract lint, cos though it's a soft case, it's not soft silicon. It's got a smooth/matte finish.

12. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

Agreed about the ergonomics of that stupid lip, and thanks for the link. But literally green? ;)

This looks good, and they're available locally (always nice) ... The only downside is the lack of a matte finish option, as I'm sure that shiny polycarbonate scratches very easily. Thanks for the suggestion!

I also found this one locally: Tunewear Eggshell. It would be perfect if it wasn't for that stupid lanyard attachment hole. :rolleyes:

Seriously, they all have some shortcoming. The Incipio Feather seems to be the only one available without the Apple logo cutout (Casemate Barely There), in matte black (unlike the Switcheasy Nude), and without the stupid lanyard attachment (like the Eggshell has) ... Unfortunately it also happens to be the only one NOT sold in Japan. Figures.

13. Faded1984 macrumors member

Can I ask why you are ruling out the Incipio Feather?

14. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Read the post right above yours. It's because he's in Japan and he can't get it there apparently.

15. cscsw macrumors newbie

I think many sellers in ebay are willing to ship to Japan.

I have Nude but the edges are sharp and did cut my ear.

16. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4 (32GB, JB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I got my Tunewear Eggshell today, and it's great - aside from a rough seam in the back, that is. :rolleyes: