Snap on vs slider--with respect to scratches

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by JonMPLS, Oct 17, 2012.

1. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

I was wondering if any of you has experience with cases with respect to the potential to scratch. I realize it's the dust, not the plastic, that actual does the scratching.

I like to change cases for specific uses, so want a protective case that is really easy to put on and take off. So I was thinking of a slider for this use. Like the Incipio Edge Pro (black is in stock, by the way). Or a Candyshell grip, as a potential snap on.

So does a slider have more scratch potential than a snap on? Thanks.

2. Minhthien macrumors 6502

I had the Relex by otterbox, its a slider case and it DID scratch alot!

3. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Almost any case will scratch because dust and dirt will eventually work its way between the case and the device, then be held there allowing it to scratch the device. I've had my iPhone 4 for over 2 years, about 60% of the time with a case, 40% of the time without. The sides and back are filled with scratches from its time with the case on - they look almost like little cloud-bursts at each point that debris was trapped. There are a few longer scratches from when it was out of the case, but it's the cloud-bursts that are far more visible.

4. kyellowness macrumors regular

never got any scratches with a snap on case (even though sometimes it felt like i would) but gotten scratches from slider type case before.

5. JonMPLS thread starter macrumors 65816

6. phr0ze macrumors 6502a

I had the Apple iphone 4 bumper. It doesn't have a back and my back was pristine when I sold it. No scratches at all.

I want a good bumper for the 5 so bad.

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

He isn't talking about general scratches, just scratches from taking his iPhone in and out of various cases. So it would be the part of the iPhone the case touches he is concerned with.

My thought is that the more movement across a surface you have the greater the chances for scratching. So a case that slides across the lenght of you phone will scratch more than one that just snaps on, provided the snap on case has some flexibility to it.

8. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Target sells bumpers for the i5.

9. phr0ze macrumors 6502a

Yes, I never said otherwise. The iphone 4 bumper makes the least amount of contact, which is why I was saying I don't have scratches from trapped dust.

Newer products which are being called 'bumpers' have backs on them and can trap dust/dirt which would wear the surface over time.