Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

For a few months in 2022, Snapchat parent company Snap sold a Pixy selfie camera drone. Sales of the device were lackluster and Snap stopped all plans for further work on the device after a four month period. Still, Snap sold 71,000 of the devices, but now it's recalling all of them.

pixy-drone-snapchat.jpg

As noted by The Verge, the batteries in the Pixy are a fire hazard and Snap has issued a recall in partnership with the US Consumer Product Safety Commission. The Pixy's battery can overheat, and there have been four reports of battery issues. One incident resulted in a minor battery fire, and a second resulted in a minor injury.

The Pixy was sold on Snapchat's Pixy website and on Amazon between May 2022 and December 2023, with prices ranging from $185 to $250. Snap also sold extra batteries for $16 to $20.

According to the recall notice, customers who purchased a Pixy Flying Camera should remove the battery and stop charging it. Snap is providing refunds for all customers who bought a Pixy.

To get a refund, customers will need to visit the Pixy support site and follow the instructions. Pixy cameras must be returned to Snap, and batteries must be safely disposed of.

Article Link: Snap Recalling and Refunding All Pixy Drones Due to Fire Risk

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Sounds like a press release from Pharma company stopping all work and research on a drug safety issues.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Surprised they’re still around, none of their HW products has had any real success…

DarkCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2013
Yeah I hardly hear people talk about Snap anymore. Now it's all Tiktok.

It's funny how these social media trends come and go and here I am just staying on Telegram chatting with my friends and don't end up using any of them.
It's crazy to think because Snap was massive. It was nice to ask for a Snapchat over giving out a personal number though when you wanted to text someone new.

• Haha
Reactions: Victor Mortimer

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
If Snap is dead, how is it 8th place on Apple's App Store list of "Must-Have Apps" and #17 for "Top Free Apps"?

It's #2 on Google Play store for "Popular Apps" and #22 for "Editor's Choice Apps"

It all comes down to demographics. Teens top 3 social media apps are: TikTok, Snapchat, and Instagram per Pew Research

TikTok, Snapchat and Instagram remain popular among teens: Majorities of teens ages 13 to 17 say they use TikTok (63%), Snapchat (60%) and Instagram (59%).

and Piper Sander
  • TikTok remains teens’ most favored social media platform so far in 2023, though its favorability fell one percentage point from the fall of 2022 with a 37% share, according to Piper Sandler’s Spring 2023 Taking Stock with Teens survey.
  • Behind TikTok is Snap (27%) and Instagram (23%). TikTok has been the top ranking social media app since spring 2022, when it unseated Snap.

Last edited:

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC

It's funny how these social media trends come and go and here I am just staying on Telegram chatting with my friends and don't end up using any of them.

Is Telegram that popular in your circles? I've popped in and out of Telegram, but it really hasn't had any sticking power, and nobody asks me if I have it.

Kevin2055

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2015

For a few months in 2022, Snapchat parent company Snap sold a Pixy selfie camera drone. Sales of the device were lackluster and Snap stopped all plans for further work on the device after a four month period. Still, Snap sold 71,000 of the devices, but now it's recalling all of them.

pixy-drone-snapchat.jpg

As noted by The Verge, the batteries in the Pixy are a fire hazard and Snap has issued a recall in partnership with the US Consumer Product Safety Commission. The Pixy's battery can overheat, and there have been four reports of battery issues. One incident resulted in a minor battery fire, and a second resulted in a minor injury.

The Pixy was sold on Snapchat's Pixy website and on Amazon between May 2022 and December 2023, with prices ranging from $185 to $250. Snap also sold extra batteries for $16 to $20.

According to the recall notice, customers who purchased a Pixy Flying Camera should remove the battery and stop charging it. Snap is providing refunds for all customers who bought a Pixy.

To get a refund, customers will need to visit the Pixy support site and follow the instructions. Pixy cameras must be returned to Snap, and batteries must be safely disposed of.

Article Link: Snap Recalling and Refunding All Pixy Drones Due to Fire Risk
It is still safer than the drones exposing their blades.

• Haha

desslr

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2021
That’s a shame, it had legs as an idea but was locked to Snapchat and onky available in France and USA

Reactions: arkitect

desslr

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2021
They are just recalling the batteries, not the device. The headline and article are a bit misleading.

Mate…. Read the Snap website linked in the article… it is exactly how MacRumors have written it…. 👍

PowerButton

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2022
Oh, snap!

I digress with the poor euphemism. They probably would have been more popular 10 years ago, but a locked platform and much better drones are readily available for a little more money.

SuccodeMele

Contributor
Oct 24, 2023
I have one of the fly more bundles. I thought it was kinda cool when it was announced and pre-ordered it. Was fun for a bit and all that, now it collects dust. Thought about selling it but never did. Now this. Pleasant surprise. Now I need to decide to return it for my money or keep it and possibly sell it later as a relic. But more than likely, Snap is going to remove it from the app so it will be useless.

Return it is!

Reactions: iamspam

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2015
How are batteries still being made and used in devices that are not fit for purpose like this??

It looks like the entire lot of batteries they used are at risk… thats bad! Where did they source them and are any other manufacturers affected?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.