Snap Shield Secure for New iPad lasted 3 days before snapping off a corner

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by geoelectric, Apr 9, 2012.

1. geoelectric macrumors 6502

geoelectric

Received the SSS on Friday.

Today, noticed what looked like a crack starting on the upper left corner.

Removed SSS to figure out if it was a crack or something trapped beneath translucent shield.

Snapped shield back on. Corner snaps off and lands on the desk.

On the phone with Belkin now. Looks like the old issues still persist, though. To make matters better, Frys wouldn't take back the SSS for iPad 2 that also cracked through both corners, claiming I must have dropped it. I didn't push that point since I was using it out of spec.

This has turned into an awfully expensive option, what with $35*2 for (cracking-prone) back cases + the $70 smart cover. I'm sure Belkin will replace this one--and if not, completely certain Amazon will exchange it when they have stock again--but I'm feeling kind of stupid for not just getting a back case + leather cover combo from MacAlly or similar.

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

woah that sucks.. So Fry's straight out told you u can't get another one or a refund?

3. geoelectric thread starter macrumors 6502

geoelectric

Fry's did, yeah, re: the iPad 2 one. I was hoping to get that one refunded because the corners had cracked.

Of course, they'd cracked using it on the New iPad, so it was a touch shady on my part--mitigated mostly by the knowledge that they tend to crack whether or not they're on a new iPad or an iPad 2, so I didn't feel too bad about it.

But I also didn't feel totally justified, so didn't press (though I was a little pissy that Fry's, in essence, claimed I dropped it and was lying to them).

The other one, though, was a New iPad model, fresh from Amazon. That one -was- being used as designed, and still cracked in three days.

Called Belkin and they're willing to replace it, but they don't have any more to replace it with for a couple of weeks. So instead I'm returning it to Amazon, since that's the easier option. Already processed the instant refund, and just need to drop it in the mail tomorrow.

Question now is what next. I'm a believer now that the Belkins are defective out of the box, and don't plan on repeating that mistake--which is a bummer, since they're attractive, feel great, and have that awesome metal magnet retainer.

If only I hadn't succumbed to Apple's Reality Distortion Field and bought the damned Smart Cover, I'd have my iPad in a nice Yoobao by now. Still haven't ruled out the possibility.

4. dsquared81 macrumors 6502

Wow that's terrible. I may have to rethink what I'm going to get. I wanted to get the navy one and I was planning on pulling the trigger when it was available. Its still not available so maybe I should look elsewhere altogether.

5. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

That sucks. I decided to get a smart cover and use a back skin. Knew smart cover would work and for me a back skin was the best minimal choice

6. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Looking more & more like it's going to pay to wait.

7. geoelectric thread starter macrumors 6502

geoelectric

I'm considering this option too. I don't really care about drop protection (not like I was going to get any out of a Snap Shield either), just scratch protection. In truth, with AppleCare+ I shouldn't care much about that either, but can't quite bring myself to let the thing get scratched up.

My biggest concern has been that a back skin would interfere with the Smart Cover magnet if it covered that area, and I haven't found a good one with a cutout. What are you using?

8. gdeputy, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012

gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

My ghost armor on my iPad 2 didn't interfere, and neither is the iCarbons on my new iPad. Neither has a cutout for the magnet. if you don't care about drop protection its the best option and the iCarbons really does look really great.

I WILL say that iCarbons doesn't add grip like a skin would.. its thick, beautiful and textured but feels slippery like the aluminum did.

it is absolutely awesome though, white carbon iPad looks pretty awesome with the white front. (I only bought the back)

[​IMG]

9. fatpat268 macrumors newbie

Yea, that's what I'm doing. All I need is scratch protection, so I grabbed one those carbon fiber skins for the back only. Grabbed the black carbon fiber back + matching black carbon fiber skin for a dark grey PU smartcover from icarbons.

Now I just gotta wait for it to arrive...

10. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I couldn't go without one - my Smart Feather has been fine (not that this helps you).

11. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I went with iCarbons. It works well with smart cover. Still can pick it up by smart cover and it stays connected so don't really think cutout is needed. This vid shows it towards the end http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDnxMyPuJFM. I was concerned about that as well initially, but it's not a prob.

12. geoelectric thread starter macrumors 6502

geoelectric

Thanks for the skin suggestions!

I decided to give the Tucano Vedo a shot before going the skin route.

I really liked having a magnet retainer strip on the back, and while the Vedo's TPU is thicker than the Belkin shell, I'm hoping the flexibility also means it'll be more resistant to breakage.

It is a bummer about the Belkins. Aside from this issue, I really like the product.

13. vjacques macrumors member

would you mind posting the revision number from the Belkin's packaging?

14. geoelectric thread starter macrumors 6502

geoelectric

I'll take a look when I'm home. IIRC, the model number stamped into the shield is AF0601. Mine was black/smoke.

I'm sure it's their first revision of this model, though, given that I got one of the initial batch shipped. The molding is definitely different from the iPad 2 version.

15. RTbar macrumors regular

update us on the vedo, I am thinking about this one if the smartsuit3 is too shiny in bronze

16. DaGrandMastah macrumors 6502a

Well I'm glad this was posted as it saved me some headache. I cancelled both of my orders on this case as it seems like there are too many complaints about the case either snapping or fitting too loosely.

I ordered a regular back cover instead and it's been great so far.

17. KennySmith macrumors member

any picture??? out of spec? what you mean out of spec??

18. geoelectric thread starter macrumors 6502

geoelectric

Kenny, I can take one. Looks a lot like a shield with a broken-off corner though. ;)

Re: out of spec, I meant I was initially using an iPad 2 Snap Shield Secure on the New iPad. Ironically, it held up far better than the new one did. It cracked on the two top corners, but nothing broke off.

19. jbrady3324 macrumors regular

My belkin snap case secure just broke today as well. Top left corner snapped but did not fall off. I am using it on a new iPad. The case is about a week old. Should I contact belkin or return to store?

20. MaxPower49 macrumors 6502a

Was yours the new model also, or was it the iPad 2 model? I have one of these on orderbut am canceling now. This is pretty pathetic Belkin. Looks like they made no attempt to fix the problems.

21. geoelectric thread starter macrumors 6502

geoelectric

Bottom left corner of mine is cracked now too (it's still on my iPad while I wait for the Tucano).

Yeah, pretty disappointing.

To whoever asked for the info off the packaging, I can't actually find the box. When it fit so well, I may have assumed things were fine and chucked it. Hoping that won't be a problem with my return to Amazon. The shield's plainly defective. :/

22. DaGrandMastah macrumors 6502a

To anyone who is interested, I purchased this case from amazon.com. I know it says it's for the ipad 2 but I had noticed a bunch of reviews were stating that it fit their ipad 3 and there's been no complaints of cracking. They have an ipad 3 version of the case that keeps the cover locked but I wanted the freedom to take it off when I want.

I received the case yesterday and it's a great fit. It's a nice smooth material that adds a bit of extra grip. It looks the same as the Belkin case but I've never heard of cracking issues with this one.....plus it's 12 bucks cheaper then the belkin snap shield.

Also, it's doesn't cause any issues with a screen protector. It's definitely a snap case so it won't wrap around to the front (thus causing issues with the smart cover lifting up). It's a nice tight fit that won't fall off but you can take it off if you want (although it does take a bit of force).

http://www.amazon.com/i-BLASON-Smar...131M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1334243400&sr=8-3

23. jbrady3324 macrumors regular

I have one on my ipad 2 and one on my new ipad. Both have cracked.

Do you think I can return these to target or do I need to call Belkin?

24. MaxPower49 macrumors 6502a

So you are saying you had the ipad 2 model of the case on the iPad3 when it cracked? That was a known issue.

The OP had the new case model on an iPad 3 and it cracked. I was trying to confirm if it was an isolated incident or the new case model has the same problem as the old ones.

25. vjacques macrumors member

Belkin and it's official distributors are not shipping the case yet. there's still a chance that these isolated accidents of it slipping through the retail cracks don't represent the final revision of the product. let's see what happens when the 1st batch of preorders is out.