*SnapBook*

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by shady825, Dec 15, 2008.

1. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

New Aluminum MacBook seems pretty snappy after 10.5.6 update

Anyone else notice anything on the new machine? Not like mine was slow before but things just seem to be a bit quicker now.

In iStat I've noticed a bit more "Memory" is available at any given time as well...

2. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

I haven't noticed any speed differences yet. Seems the same speed as before for me. However, they fixed mail which I'm happy about. In 10.5.5 mail used to hang on quit and I had to always force quit it. Now it actually shuts down properly. Might have had something to do with my 2000 unread mails...

3. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I noticed a little snappiness myself, but I just thought it was because of the restart, and cache clearing etc... We'll see, I guess time will tell.
    The memory however, it seems like more of it is FREE rather than INACTIVE.. :confused:

4. shady825 thread starter macrumors 68000

shady825

Thats what i was saying about the memory! At any given time i seem to have more FREE memory..

5. shady825 thread starter macrumors 68000

shady825

Ive also noticed some "new" folders in Library.
    Folders called :
    Ruby
    Python

?? One of them has something called "ruby coco bundle" inside it.... Im not sure what this is

6. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Scratch that! after running a few apps, and just doing my usual stuff, it seems like most of the memory has switched to Inactive, rather than free... Which is no biggie, and the MB still runs like a champ... Just an obs.

7. CoreyMac macrumors regular

Animations are smoother thats for sure, I was a little annoyed with the bouncing icons in the dock not being smoothly animated, as well as minimizing and maximizing windows....now its all gravy =]

8. MacMur macrumors regular

I seem to have better battery life. I have been running my MB hooked up to the web for about 3 hours and the time icon says that I still have 3 hours left. Sure hope that's true. I'll be very happy if so.

9. Jisuo macrumors 6502

Ruby, Python = programming languages.

10. shady825 thread starter macrumors 68000

shady825

A buddy of mine also said his Time Machine seems too be faster. Anyone else notice this? I havent used it yet but over all I would have to say my MacBook is faster.

11. marmiteturkey macrumors 6502

marmiteturkey

I never had more than a couple of unread emails, and I never close mail until I've read them - but I had this problem too, and I'm really pleased that it's fixed in 10.5.6 too.

12. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

My MacBook (see signature) seemed to be a bit snappier with video encoding after the update. I chalked it up to a placebo effect.

13. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

This.

14. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I dunno..
    After a day with this new update, I HAVE noticed that the RAM DOES clear faster from Inactive to FREE... So THAT is an improvement in itself, don't know how it affects the computer but it's a definite change.