Snapchat Expanding Bitmoji 'Friendmojis' to Apple's Messages App for First Time

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 8, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Snapchat is expanding the use of its Bitmoji characters -- specifically "Friendmojis" -- for iOS users in the coming days. With the update, iPhone and iPad users will be able to send personalized Friendmojis, or Bitmoji stickers that include both you and your friend, directly in Apple's Messages app.

Currently, Bitmoji is available as a keyboard extension and a Messages app so users can send Bitmoji in Messages, but the new update marks the first time combo Friendmojis can be sent outside of the main Snapchat app. Anyone who has their Bitmoji and Snapchat accounts linked together will be able to send Friendmojis in Messages.

[​IMG]

To send a Friendmoji, a new "Friend" icon will appear in the upper-right corner of the Bitmoji keyboard extension, which can be added to trusted keyboards in the iOS Settings app. From there users will see a list of Snapchat friends they can tap on to generate customized Friendmojis featuring their own Bitmoji and their friend's character.

Friendmojis have numerous themes and celebratory messages, from simple "Good Morning" messages to more specific stickers for birthdays, holidays, major events, apologies, and more. Snapchat acquired Bitmoji in the summer of 2016, heavily integrating the sticker characters into its app over the years. In 2018, Snapchat now uses Bitmojis as the main form of identifying friends in the app.

Since Bitmojis popularized the creation of personalized animated characters, many companies have now unveiled interest in the space, most recently Apple with its own "Memoji" coming in iOS 12 on iPhone X. With Memojis, users can create customized animated characters that look like themselves, and then use the iPhone X's True Depth camera system to replicate movements made by the mouth, eyes, eyebrows, and tongue.

Memoji messages can be sent through Messages as stickers and video clips, and can be attached to the user's face in a video clip. Memojis are an evolution of Animoji, which take traditional emoji characters and turn them into full 3D emojis that follow the face movements of the user. Of course, the main difference between Apple's efforts and Bitmoji is Bitmoji's focus on full-body customization, while Apple's animated characters are only floating heads.

Article Link: Snapchat Expanding Bitmoji 'Friendmojis' to Apple's Messages App for First Time

2. dogslobber macrumors 68030

dogslobber

What’s the point of this type of stuff? I can’t believe there’s any utility to it.

3. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68040

OldSchoolMacGuy

You might not get it or use it but those who do use it like crazy. It's a great way for them to increase the use of their app.

4. iPhD macrumors member

iPhD

It's moments like this I realize I've changed demographics.

5. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

I used to be with it, then they changed what it is. Now what I’m with isn’t it and what’s it seems weird and scary to me. - Grandpa Simpson.

6. slimtastic macrumors regular

slimtastic

7. TMRJIJ macrumors 68030

TMRJIJ

Still using Facebook, Grandpa Simpson? That’s where all your old pals are.

8. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

It's... fun. People do still enjoy having fun, ya know. ;-)

9. midkay macrumors regular

The friendmojis are hella cute, this is a nice addition.

10. dingle19 macrumors member

Well if you use the word "hella" then you are the target demographic for this type of feature

11. fairuz macrumors 65816

fairuz

These are the only "moji"-related anything that I like. Not that I use them often, but they're fun to scroll through, and the 2D artwork is nice.

12. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

You’d have to ask Matt G.

13. fairuz macrumors 65816

fairuz

Memoji is creepy, not cute. The 3D rendering especially.

14. trusso macrumors regular

Fun, eh? That's a nice thought.

"Even the simple act of playing has been taken away from children [...] When does a kid ever get to sit in the yard with a stick anymore? You know? Just sit there with a f***ing stick. Do today's kids even know what a stick is? You sit in the yard with a f***ing stick... and you dig a f***ing hole. You know? And you look at the hole, and you look at the stick... and you have a little fun. But kids don't have sticks anymore. I don't think there are any sticks left; I think they've all be recalled because of lead paint!

Who would have thought that one day, the manufacturing of sticks would be outsourced to China?"

–George Carlin (It's Bad for Ya!, 2008)

:rolleyes:

15. slimtastic macrumors regular

slimtastic

While I am not sure if that has any bearing my post, I have to disagree. Memoji seems pretty damn cool.

16. CBarrentine macrumors newbie

CBarrentine

I don’t personally use it but my niece loves them. Great for the targeted demographic.

17. fairuz, Jun 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2018

fairuz macrumors 65816

fairuz

About the demographic stuff, all the old people in my family use these too. Actually they use them more than anyone else. Usually for those group texts for Easter or some other celebration.

18. SBlue1 macrumors 65816

SBlue1

Apple please let those Animoji eigeneres get back to work on the new Macs hardware. /s

19. dampfnudel macrumors 68030

Refreshing, isn’t it?

20. Ultramove69 macrumors newbie

This makes me cringe, but I enjoy it at the same time. Perhaps these are a guilty pleasure. Oh well...