Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Snapchat today announced a new feature called "Clear Chats," which lets you delete any message you've sent to another person on Snapchat, whether in individual or group chat. This encompasses text chats, stickers, audio and voice notes, and any photo and video snaps sent from Memories.

To delete a chat message you can press and hold on the message or media in question and select the new "Delete" option. Snapchat warns that after this the recipient will be alerted in the conversation that a message was deleted. Anyone can still screenshot message contents as well.

snapchat-message-delete.jpg

Clear Chat will not be affected by direct snaps, however, so if you open Snapchat, take a picture with the camera, and send it to someone, the snap will not be deletable. Instead, any photo or video snap sent from Memories (swiping up on the camera screen) can now be deleted after it's been sent, in addition to basic text deleting options.

Additionally, the social media company is today launching the second generation Spectacles on Amazon in the United States, United Kingdom, and Canada, after first being available only on Snapchat.com. In the coming weeks, Amazon storefronts in France, Germany, Italy, and Spain will also gain Spectacles 2.0.

On Amazon, Spectacles will be available in Onyx Moonlight, Sapphire Twilight, and Ruby Daybreak, and the glasses will run for $150 in the United States. Snapchat chose to launch the new Spectacles only on its own website at first in a bid to ensure that supply and demand was more balanced this time around, and now the company is prepared for a wider rollout.

Message deleting will roll out to Snapchat users across the world over the next few weeks.

Article Link: Snapchat Introduces Ability to Delete Messages Even After You've Sent Them

Lill-Q

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2016
Even After You've Sent Them” - yes, because deleting messages before you’ve sent them isn’t really a groundbreaking feature. Plus, many other social messaging apps already have this.

martyjmclean

Cancelled
Jan 24, 2018
I deleted my Snapchat account in November when I got that awful update. The only thing I wish they'd change is that annoying "X is typing" notification.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.