Snapchat Updating Friends and Discover Pages With 'Tabs' for Easier Navigation, Introduces GIPHY Support

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 20, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Over the past few weeks Snapchat has been rolling out a major user interface overhaul to more and more users on its iOS and Android apps. Most users have responded negatively to the app redesign, which separates friends from brands so that users can focus on people they actually know, but condenses stories and text chats into one page.

Today, Snap Inc. announced an additional update to Friends and Discovery pages that should help make it easier for users to navigate between stories and chats.

On the Friends section of Snapchat, users will be able to cycle through tabs related to active stories, group chats, and "all" content. The Discovery section's tabs will focus on separating publishers, creators, and the community. Snapchat said tabs will be launching fairly soon on iOS, and Android will follow in the coming weeks.

In addition to tabs, today Snapchat users will have many more GIF sticker options to choose from thanks to full support from GIPHY. Snapchat has partnered with GIPHY and greatly expanded its library of GIF stickers that users can discover and place into a story. Previously, the only GIF stickers available in Snapchat were in-house designed stickers that launched late in 2017.

[​IMG]

Users can tap the sticker icon, type in the search field, and a new GIPHY section in results will showcase GIF stickers related to the search query. Like other stickers, GIF stickers can be scaled, rotated, pinned to a video story, and more than one can be added to a snap. Snapchat's GIPHY support launches one month after Instagram announced a similar wide-scale support for GIF stickers in its own version of stories.

Article Link: Snapchat Updating Friends and Discover Pages With 'Tabs' for Easier Navigation, Introduces GIPHY Support

2. Chuck Kostalnick macrumors demi-god

Chuck Kostalnick

This is too little, too late for me. Snapchat was removed from my iPhone last week, and I don't miss it.

3. arnoz macrumors regular

And the crowd goes mild.

4. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 601

OldSchoolMacGuy

I don't see Snapchat coming back. They've taken far too long and Instagram has crushed them in the past year.

5. Norwegian_Imposter macrumors regular

Norwegian_Imposter

Same. Most famous people post insta stories these days.

6. TN4U macrumors newbie

TN4U

If Snapchat wants to try and undo their mess, how about actually having an option to see your stories/inbox messages/whatever in chronological order like it's always been? I still hate how it is on Instagram, although Twitter has an option to keep tweets in chronological order.

I realize the Snapchat Team doesn't care about feedback and all they want is money, but at least make things easier for all of us.

7. Smartass macrumors 65816

It's interesting how a multi-billion company like SnapChat failed to see, or understand, how and why is instagram more popular then their own app. And even to this day, they still dont get it obviously. Anyway, its too late now, MySpace and MSN messenger are calling for them in SocialMedia Heaven/hell.

8. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Each time my kids come in and complain about something that changed I think to myself we are one day closer to not hearing the non-stop shutter release of the camera and the flash in the car at night. One day closer.

9. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

I have been posting more and more to Instagram stories than Snapchat recently. It's only a matter of time before the Snapchat app is deleted from my phone.

10. Jesse Waugh Suspended

Jesse Waugh

I think all social media are going to join MySpace in social media hell. Something new - and hopefully less heinous - will arise and make social media obsolete, or at least much less important.

*Please like this post* lol :mad::cool::confused::p:(;):eek::D:):rolleyes:o_O:oops::apple::apple::apple:

11. fairuz macrumors 68000

fairuz

Their stock was up massively (40%?) on the day they released the crappy update, due to better-than-expected losses. Like who cares? All that matters is whether people will continue using it, which they won't. I have no idea what some investors were thinking.

12. ovo6 macrumors 6502a

Glad ceo didn’t listen to everyone , Snapchat and instagram are so different, I like Snapchat because I can add the people I only want too see it’s a private kinda app , instagram app is **** compared to Snapchat , their app is **** always adding stuff nobody wants like the new way videos play sound , videos playing all over my music

13. mariusignorello macrumors 65816

It already exists. Integrated databasing.

14. Jesse Waugh Suspended

Jesse Waugh

What is that pray tell?

15. mariusignorello macrumors 65816

Kinda like SSO. Where companies maintain a shared database and your profile is used across many services.