Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markob

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2008
No surprise really. Snapchat's UI/UX was a huge failure from the start with completely reversed and illogical interface, the only reason this app is alive so long is the main idea ... and even that is fading out. Good.

Reactions: fairuz

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I will say the use for Snapchat has grown immensely for popularity, I don’t use it myself or have any social media, but it is amazing to see the impact on society an application has for those who use it amongst family and friends, it looks like a fun app all things considered.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Honestly I think some of the people who make these design decisions at certain companies are brain dead.

Literally millions of users told Snapchat they don’t like the new change and gave reasons why, yet they say “Lolz dnt wrry.”

Your customers are literally telling you that they will use it if you just change it back or make it different, but still decent or better.

I am so baffled. It’s software. It’s not a physical tangible product. Change the damn thing!

Reactions: martyjmclean

miflgr92

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2018
I’ve had Snapchat since 2014. I made a conscious effort to only add close family and friends. Kept it around 100 people. It was a fun way to share stupid and silly things with those I care about. Before the update, everyone would watch my stories. Since the update, only around 40-45 watch my stories. Most people have moved over to Instagram. I actually prefer the UI for Instagram stories but I still find myself posting stories to Snapchat more often. People only post things on Instagram that make their life seem cool, exciting, and fancy. It’s very superficial. Snapchat is a more personable experience in my opinion. It’s a shame they ruined their app and decreased their own user base.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
I have no need to send or receive nudes from millennials. Frankly, I hope the service tanks.

But I can sympathize with users who are displeased with a UI change. Like when Facebook bought Instagram and then allowed Android users to infect it. And then got rid of chronological feeds. I'm literally seeing flyers for shows days after they've happened because IG has turned into such a pile of garbage.

scottishwildcat

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2007
Being the technical leader of a team that redesigned a top web site I can tell you from personal experience that neither I nor the head of marketing were correct when we tried to predict the outcome of usability studies.
If we could predict the outcome of usability studies, we wouldn't need to do them. I've been a UI designer for 25 years, and there are always surprises. The trick is doing them early and often enough with the right people that you're not left with too much to fix when it's too late.

Reactions: nt5672

swester

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2010
I think a large amount of their user base are under 18, but I'm 30 with a group of friends all over the US 25-40 years old, and they are all on Snapchat and use regularly.

I'm in the same age group and I have maybe one or two friends who still uses it. It seemed to have its peak 3-4 years ago, and it's slowly descending into irrelevance. And good riddance; I've disliked it from the start.

pipis2010

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2015
Greece
I deleted my account in November after the redesign and don't miss it at all. After their disgusting racist + misogynistic views I'm glad to see them failing.

Well with 180 MILLION DAILY USERS, I hardly see them failing...
[doublepost=1533740656][/doublepost]
I deleted my account in November after the redesign and don't miss it at all. After their disgusting racist + misogynistic views I'm glad to see them failing.

Well with 180 MILLION DAILY USERS, I hardly see them failing...

B60boy

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2014
Not sure what makes Instagram so attractive. I post something and then I get a catfish friend requests and strangers sending me friend requests. I have no idea how they tracked me down in the first place. It's like a wide open environment where your completely exposed and then you have to deny peoples requests that come after you. Seems like a social media version of the wide open west.

Reactions: fairuz

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
I guess it’s a consequence of going public. Immediately you then have to grow & that meant they decided to tone down the quirkiness of the app - alienating their core audience.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they go back to where they were a year earlier, UXwise.

Part of the attraction of Snapchat to advertisers was surely that they could reach the very hard to access 16-25 year old audience.

Maybe Snapchat should just double down on serving that audience.

...Or launch Snapchat dating and beat Facebook at their own game!

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
The redesign was terrible, but I honestly just grew tired of the many social media apps that are on my phone. Snapchat was first to get the ax. Facebook is next. Twitter, Instagram and Untappd are the only social media apps I use on a daily basis.

Reactions: mrz_V1

B60boy

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2014
The redesign was terrible, but I honestly just grew tired of the many social media apps that are on my phone. Snapchat was first to get the ax. Facebook is next. Twitter, Instagram and Untappd are the only social media apps I use on a daily basis.
I"m in the same boat thinking who gets deleted first. I have WhatsApp loaded for 4 years and received one txt. That might get the boot first. Seems redundant.

mrz_V1

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2016

Snapchat's controversial redesign, introduced last November, caused it to lose millions of subscribers according to data shared today in its second quarter earnings results.

Snap said it had 188 million daily active Snapchat users during the second quarter of 2018, down from 191 million during the first quarter of the year.

snapchat-redesigned-redesign-800x533.jpg

In prepared remarks [PDF] on Snapchat's performance, Snap CEO Evan Spiegel said that the two percent decline in daily active users was "primarily driven" by a lower frequency of use among the company's user base due to "the disruption caused by our redesign."

Spiegel said that Snapchat is working to iterate and improve the app based on community feedback, and he says that the major frustrations have been addressed.

Following the release of the redesigned app, more than 1.2 million users signed a petition asking for the change to be reversed.

In response, Snap rolled back some of the design changes, reverting Snaps and Chats back to chronological order and re-adding Stories from friends to the right side of the app. Snap also reintroduced the feature that allowed it to open up in camera mode, and users can again swipe left to view posts from friends.

The redesign of the app was initially aimed at appealing to a broader demographic and expanding Snapchat's user base, but Snapchat users were not prepared for the drastic change and did not become accustomed to the redesign as Snap had hoped.

Despite the fact that it's number of daily active users dropped, Snapchat brought in $262 million in revenue, an increase of 44 percent year-over-year.

Article Link: Snapchat's Recent Redesign Resulted in Millions of Lost Users

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007

If bringing in $262M is failing, I wouldn't at all mind failing. I'd love to fail, in fact.

mrz_V1

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2016
Good, the CEO is an idiot. Snapchat has one of the worst user interfaces ever created in an iPhone app. It violates most of apples design philosophy's and yet they continue to add to the crap. Classic case of a company that could care less what the customer actually wants. I hope they continue to run the company directly into the ground, where they belong. The CEO said "We have been thinking about the redesign for a really long time." HAHA took you so many years and some of the best engineers in the world to figure out how to loose millions of customers. Good job, keep up the work.

Direct quote's from the idiot CEO:

“Some of the complaints we are seeing are reinforcing our philosophy,” he said. For instance, some people complained that before the redesign, celebrities had felt like friends, whereas they were now relegated to the public stories section of the app. Spiegel defended that move as essentially more honest: “They’re not your friends,” he quipped.

“We’ve been thinking about the redesign for a really long time,” Spiegel said Thursday. One of the motivations for the redesign was to make the product simpler to use, and also attract a wider user base — something that could be key to reinvigorating Snapchat’s user growth.

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
In my opinion social media, especially Snapchat, has ruined society.
Snapchat is the least cancerous one. There's no reputation, profile, or addicting behavior. It's just a more fun way to send photos than what you'd normally do with iMessage. Facebook and its new form Instagram are the issue.

Anyway, I knew Snapchat was losing customers, and profits will be next. A Saudi prince just stupidly bought a large stake and lost a lot of money. RobinHood still won't let me trade options for no apparent reason; I'm dying to place a bet against them because even after this dip they're still worth a ridiculous $15B due to overvaluation by old investors who are totally out of touch with what they're buying, like that prince.
[doublepost=1533757633][/doublepost]
The problem with stories on Instagram is that it doesn't feel personal, with Snapchat my direct everyday friends send me photos, like those pointless ones of 'oooh look at this nice car'. Instagram is full of people trying to sell me things or of random beaches and their vacation pics.
Yeah, I tried IG just to see how it is, and it kinda sucks. Why do random people see my stuff in the first place??
[doublepost=1533757783][/doublepost]
Not sure what makes Instagram so attractive. I post something and then I get a catfish friend requests and strangers sending me friend requests. I have no idea how they tracked me down in the first place. It's like a wide open environment where your completely exposed and then you have to deny peoples requests that come after you. Seems like a social media version of the wide open west.
It's even worse than wild west. At least in the wild west you get to shoot people who bother you, so it's not like 90% of the population are criminals like on IG.
[doublepost=1533758162][/doublepost]
I have no need to send or receive nudes from millennials. Frankly, I hope the service tanks.

But I can sympathize with users who are displeased with a UI change. Like when Facebook bought Instagram and then allowed Android users to infect it. And then got rid of chronological feeds. I'm literally seeing flyers for shows days after they've happened because IG has turned into such a pile of garbage.
About Snapchat: It's not only for sending nudes.

Lol, this is super elitist, but I agree IG would've been better with iPhone users only. I wouldn't mind the feed algorithm if it weren't super dumb. Apparently it's not showing some stuff from those I follow (a lot) and instead showing the same things over and over unless I quit the app for a week... which I usually do.

Last edited:

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
Snapchat is the least cancerous one. There's no reputation, profile, or addicting behavior. It's just a more fun way to send photos than what you'd normally do with iMessage. Facebook and its new form Instagram are the issue.

While I think all social media platforms are cancerous, I think Snapchat is the worst. One time with my ex we went to a bar, she took a picture of her drink for Snapchat, finished it, and took a picture of her empty drink for Snapchat. I was floored by the need for validation, and the only question I could think of after witnessing this was “who ****ing cares?”. I certainly think this same thing with Instagram and Facebook. Just an endless cycle for the need of validation from others, constantly trying to make their digital self be as glamorous and amazing as possible. While in reality their real life most likely isn’t anywhere close to their digitial version.

Then there’s crap like this:
https://9to5mac.com/2018/08/03/snapchat-filters-in-real-life/#disqus_thread

I’m certainly not going to disagree other platforms are cancerous, I’d put Instagram at a very close #2.

When people say they only do it to waste time, why not spend the same time filling your brain with knowledge instead of mental cancer? Read a book, learn a second language, learn to play an instrument, volunteer at a pound / homeless shelter / any cause you’re passionate about, etc. In my opinion there’s far better things a person can do than scrolling looking at photos they most likely deep down really don’t care about, and posting their 6th selfie of the week.

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
While I think all social media platforms are cancerous, I think Snapchat is the worst. One time with my ex we went to a bar, she took a picture of her drink for Snapchat, finished it, and took a picture of her empty drink for Snapchat. I was floored by the need for validation, and the only question I could think of after witnessing this was “who ****ing cares?”. I certainly think this same thing with Instagram and Facebook. Just an endless cycle for the need of validation from others, constantly trying to make their digital self be as glamorous and amazing as possible. While in reality their real life most likely isn’t anywhere close to their digitial version.

Then there’s crap like this:
https://9to5mac.com/2018/08/03/snapchat-filters-in-real-life/#disqus_thread

I’m certainly not going to disagree other platforms are cancerous, I’d put Instagram at a very close #2.

When people say they only do it to waste time, why not spend the same time filling your brain with knowledge instead of mental cancer? Read a book, learn a second language, learn to play an instrument, volunteer at a pound / homeless shelter / any cause you’re passionate about, etc. In my opinion there’s far better things a person can do than scrolling looking at photos they most likely deep down really don’t care about, and posting their 6th selfie of the week.
As annoying as it is, I don't think Snapchat ends up using that much of someone's time. Say someone posts 5 pointless pictures a day, that's like 150 seconds total. And you don't think about it much when you're not using it.

Edit: Also, you look through other people's stories in a way that uses less time than Instagram's feed. I feel like the feed is designed to keep people in the app for longer periods of time.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.