Snapping/Ticking sound...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by phas3, May 14, 2011.

1. phas3, May 14, 2011
    Last edited: May 14, 2011

phas3 macrumors 65816

I have my macbook pro connected to a 24" led monitor, I have a USB(AC powered) hub connected into one of the USB ports on the mbp and on the hub, I have my mouse and keyboard connected as well.

I hear a ticking noise every 5-10 minutes in my macbook, I recently installed an 8gb memory from OWC though I doubt that is the problem.

it is this same noise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V_S45q0mrg&feature=related

2. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

Well, I thought they still taught reading comprehension in school, did you not notice the title of the video you posted? Since you say it is the same noise, did you not associate it with the noise you're hearing?

If you want me to spoon feed you the information, here it is: it is most likely your hard drive's head parking itself during idle operation.

4. simsaladimbamba

That is the HDD.
    The read/write head is failing to do something, maybe park or start.
    Backup your data and after that check your read and write speeds via AJA System Test or Xbench and report back.

Anyway, I had that sound on my old iBook G4, which was the HDD and it locked up the computer often.

Kudos to snaky69, I missed that YT title.

5. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh snap! damn you're good. Maybe I should have been more clear on the first posts, I mean I didn't just make this thread only to let you guys know that I have a ticking sound coming from my macbook. Now that would just be stupid! Wouldn't it?

simsaladimbamba, thanks that's exactly what I wanted to get out from this thread. I'll post back in a bit with my Xbench results.

6. ' r i S e n macrumors regular

I have heard this from my 13'' as well. Is this a red flag, or normal?

It doesn't happen too often ... maybe like once or twice per day?