Snappy, now compatible with iOS4

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by F123D, Aug 21, 2010.

1. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

One of my favorite apps is now compatible with the iOS4. I haven't used SnapTap because I've been waiting for Snappy to be updated so I can't compare. However, with this tweak, you can use the volume buttons to snap photos and can launch the camera from any screen using Activator (lockscreeen, in the middle of other apps without closing them) and start taking photos in 1 second! Definitely a useful tweak and well worth the $1.99. :D

2. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Not sure what the difference is between Snappy and SnapTap. Seems like they both allow you to take pics using the volume buttons but only Snappy allows you to access the camera app more quickly (like from the lockscreen). Is Snappy compatible with the iphone 4 though? SnapTap is. Also, can you use the volume controls for video too? I would think so but didn't see that mentioned (maybe I missed that though).

3. F123D thread starter macrumors 68040

F123D

Yes, as the title says, compatible with OS4. You can use the volume control buttons for video as well, forgot to mention that.

The main reason I like snappy is the ability to launch the camera from any screen in one second and snap a photo immediately. Perfect for spur of the moment photos/videos.

4. nednarm macrumors 6502

Sweet! Going to download this now for $1.99 it's a bargain

5. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm pretty happy with Camera+ at the moment (which can take photos with the volume buttons as well), but I'll check this out.

6. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I know that it's compatible with ios4 but is it compatible with the iphone 4? I don't see any mention of that in Cydia. Also, can you assign a different gesture to invoke it other than holding the status bar? I already have infoshade (lockinfo) assigned to that.

7. F123D thread starter macrumors 68040

F123D

Yes, it's compatible with the iPhone 4, which is what I'm using.

You can change the gesture to anything you want. I'm using swipe down from status bar to activate it. You can actually activate the camera and video seperately with with Activator. One gesture to open up the camera to snap photos, another gesture to open straight to video recording.

8. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

I bought this ap ages ago and used to use it on my 3G, but I haven't installed it yet on my iPhone 4. That is because I have so many gestures set up for my status bar I don't know how to fit snappy in. lol

I have:

Swipe left: home button press
    Swipe right: sbsettings
    Swipe down: notified pro
    Double tap: activate switcher

I guess I could use tap and hold. Heh

9. tuan time macrumors regular

when pressing the volume button to take a picture, does it interfere with BiteSMS's quickreply when you also hit the volume button?

10. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

SnapTap doesn't interfere at all. You'll have to wait for someone else to answer about Snappy since I've never used that one.

11. psywzrd macrumors 68030

No it doesn't because the only time the volume buttons will function as the shutter buttons is when Snappy is being used. If you're on the lockscreen or wherever and you want to use Bite's quick compose, you can still hit the volume button and then tap on the screen to compose a message.

12. F123D thread starter macrumors 68040

F123D

Which is PERFECT because that's what Snappy is defaulted as for activator.

13. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

Thanks for the heads up. I was waiting for this to be compatible with iOS4.

I have set my status bar activations to
    Swipe Left: Activate Snappy (cam)
    Swipe Right: SBSettings
    Swipe Down: Lockinfo Infoshade
    Double Tap: biteSMS quick compose

Pretty sweet set up.

14. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I like that setup too - works perfect for me.

15. bmms8 macrumors 68020

16. F123D thread starter macrumors 68040

F123D

Just checked, it is ver 2.2.

17. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

Thanks a lot for posting this, is it still kinda buggy with saving the pictures? Does it support everything native like flash and front facing?

18. F123D thread starter macrumors 68040

F123D

Yes, you can can change the native flash (auto/on/off) and switch back and forth between back camera and front facing camera. You can also switch back and forth for camera and video as well.

Only bug is it won't open up the photo album directly from the camera app at the moment which they're working on. Saves photos fine.

19. QwikEVO macrumors newbie

do you have to do anything to get the program to start?

I have the icon on my phone, but when I press it...it doesn't do anything...and when I touch and hold the status bar...it doesn't do anything.

20. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Qwik, I did a respring after I installed it and it works perfectly. Besides, once you set up the activation method via Activator, you don't really NEED the icon.

To the OP, I've been away for the last couple of days, so I didn't see this thread until now, but THANK YOU for letting us know this had been updated! It's probably the most-used app I had before on my 3GS and I'd been missing it something fierce since updating to iOS4. Man, it's nice to have it back!

21. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I still don't understand the difference between this and SnapTap other than the fact that you need activator to invoke SnapTap from the lockscreen or wherever (I already have activator because of lockinfo). It seems like you can also use SnapTap in other apps that make use of the camera (although I'm not really sure what those apps are:D). I already bought Snappy but would I have been better off with SnapTap since I already use activator? I know it's only $1.49 or whatever if I want to buy that too but I don't really two apps that do the same exact thing.

Does anyone know if there are other differences?

22. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

Snappy is quick camera. Snaptap simply allows you to take pictures with the volume button. Snappy is an actual camera app.

23. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I get that but isn't Snaptap+activator basically equal to Snappy? Or am I missing something?

24. dzendeh macrumors member

25. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

I dont think you can set the camera with Activator. It doesnt work when I try (it lists Snappy as the "add on")