Snappy

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rivercottage, Oct 11, 2011.

1. rivercottage macrumors member

Hello wonderful forum chaps.

Its finally time for a new mac. My macbook pro core duo died, and working on this dell is hurting my soul.

I currently have a two monitor setup at the office. Im thinking of scrapping one and going for a larger 27"

So its between the 27" imac and the 27" thunderbolt display with the 13" air.

I'm a graphic designer / web designer. So I don't think I need mega super core power, I'm more interested in snappyness, opening programs, switching between them, having a few going at once etc. - I'm thinking the air could have the edge over the imac? Also has the advantage of my worksetup and files being with me whenever.

Advantage of the imac is that it is cheaper and I could plug another two monitors into it if I ever have a bigger desk! - but with the window management of lion Im thinking one big monitor should do the job

Any thoughts extremely welcomed

2. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

If mobility is not an issue for you, definitely get the iMac, but upgrade with a 256 GB SSD. It will still be way cheaper the the MBA + Cinema Display setup, and it will smoke the MBA at the same time. Advantages with the iMac are very convincing, again, if mobility is not a top priority.

That said, I am absolutely in love with my new 11" MBA that I was lucky enough to be allowed to pick out and max out by my employer. It is the best performing computer I've ever owned, let alone laptop.

3. rivercottage thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for your reply and thoughts :)

Thats a good idea about the ssd upgrade to the imac....there is just a bizarre lust that seems to be in lots of people at the moment to get the air, some inner desire that must be satisfied over logical decisions...