Snap's Camera Spectacles Now Available Through Amazon

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 19, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

After debuting exclusively inside special pop-up vending machines last year before becoming available as direct web orders, Snap has now begun selling its video-recording Spectacles through Amazon for the first time.

[​IMG]

When synced with the Snapchat mobile app, users can tap a button on the Spectacles to begin recording a 10, 20, or 30-second video, which is saved in the "Memories" section of the app and can be revisited and posted to their Story.

As of writing, the $129.99 Spectacles are in stock on July 23 and come in Coral, Black and Teal, and include a charging case, charging cable, cleaning cloth, and Quickstart guide. All Spectacles also come with a one-year warranty.

According to Snap, Spectacles can capture up to 100 Snaps on one charge, and the charging case can hold up to four full charges at a time.

Amazon is an affiliate of MacRumors and this site may benefit if you click product links in the article.

Article Link: Snap's Camera Spectacles Now Available Through Amazon

2. Porco macrumors 68040

Porco

3. Centris 650 macrumors 6502a

Centris 650

Honestly, I could see a lot of people going for these...if they didn't look so goofy.

4. adamneer macrumors 6502

I actually like the design of them, and depending on their quality, the price is more than reasonable. However, Snapchat, to me, seems to be the height of narcissism and vanity.

5. JM macrumors 6502a

JM

These would have looked good with the 5c.

6. alleggerita macrumors 6502

alleggerita

The specs of the specs is perf for the perv.

7. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

Spectacularly spectacular spectacles make the wearer look like a spectacularly spectacular spectacle.

8. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Are they anything like the rose colored glasses that investors used when they bought Snap stock.

You would think that they could design some glasses that people would look good wearing.

9. tkukoc macrumors 65816

tkukoc

If they made them with a more classy design I'd buy them and I don't snapchat.

10. erinsarah macrumors 6502

I bet those Google Glassholes are laughing their butts off now. Man...would I look like a dork in those.

So, IRL I've always wanted to be able to quickly record something I was seeing....like situations when a gaggle of geese cross the highway, or when I'm walking down the street and see a dude riding a unicycle while wearing a prom dress (that was an actual thing). But I can't see walking around with these silly things on every moment JUST in case I see something interesting.

11. Mizouse macrumors regular

Bought mine a few months back when Snap started selling them on their website.... I've stopped using them and haven't seen anyone else using them either.

12. SigEp265 macrumors 6502

SigEp265

I used them on a weekend vacation once ... they are pretty neat (if you are into snapchat). I ended up selling them on ebay though ... they were way too goofy looking.

13. springsup macrumors 65816

springsup

Aww, that’s cute. I think you mean the other way around, though - MR is affiliated with Amazon. The affiliate is the one doing the marketing on behalf of the other (typically bigger) company. I don’t think MR pays Amazon for every user they send to this site...

14. hotgril, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017

hotgril Suspended

hotgril

Hey, SNAP shareholders! How do you like your investment? :p

[​IMG]
    (and 0 dividend yield)

15. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

A niche product, but I will say they are fairly interesting. I could see how these would appeal to some, especially to those who are heavy into social media. But The design is just awkward looking and perhaps they could have been more contemporary.

16. hotgril Suspended

hotgril

Eh, I don't mind it nearly as much as "follow my IG: @princess818" (Instagram). At least you have to "friend" people on Snapchat rather than having followers.

17. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

I work on a college campus and I've never once seen these on any student. Are these targeted at 14 year olds?

18. mwd25 macrumors regular

mwd25

Hmmm,glasses that will take a WHOLE 30 SECONDS of video. Possibly the most useless piece of tech to come out in awhile. Especially since they have had video recording shades out for quite some time now. Not only that but they
    Look good
    Can take hours of high quality video.......and
    You cant tell the wearer has camera glasses on.
    So with those options available, not sure why anyone would ever want these. They seem like a gag gift you would buy at the dollar store.

51UuGVIOIgL._SL1005_.jpg

19. Northgrove macrumors 65816

I know many don't like the idea but I think it's a pretty clever product.

* Design seems aligned enough with current neon color trends.
    * Price is kept way down for casual, typical Snapchat users, knowing their demography.
    * Complexity is very low to lower barriers of entry down to essentially nothing. A true one trick pony - per design.
    * Video duration is low since this isn't about filming documentaries, but ephemeral moments, exactly like how their app is used.

People may not like the glasses but I have a hunch that many of those don't like Snapchat either...

These glasses aren't built for them. They're built for people who love Snapchat.

20. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Thats One college out of how many other locations where someone else could be wearing these. Also, How many college students can afford a $130.00 pair of glasses? They are out there and obviously this a very niche category mind you. Now that Amazon has them, it's another outlet.

21. hotgril Suspended

hotgril

Same.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 19, 2017 ---
    You'd be surprised.

22. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

I bought the original iPhone, early 2008 15" MBP, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3gs, original iPad, iPhone 4, early 2011 15" MBP, iPad 2 and iPhone 4s while in college. But I also started my own freelance design company while in college making $50/hr so…yeah. Probably not typical, but nearly everyone I knew in college had an iPhone or Android device and a MacBook. Although I was also in the design program.

About 35k students here, so a decent sample size. I even remember seeing a couple kids wearing Google Glass back in the day, which I think puts things into perspective. One of my interns has a new 15" MBP he brings everywhere with him, and they all have smartphones. Half of them have a nicer car than I do, lol. College kids like to complain about debt but have a lot of stuff.

23. viachicago22 macrumors 6502

viachicago22

I got a pair and it's usually a night out that I feel like using them but that's serious d-bag status. I've essentially stopped using them but I will say they're fun and for a first version the tech works really well

24. SigEp265 macrumors 6502

SigEp265

I had college friends that spent a lot of money on useless crap using financial aid

25. Escape_Artist macrumors newbie

Escape_Artist

Same here. I work specifically in social media on a 50000-person campus, haven't seen anyone wearing them yet. Thank goodness they're goofy looking, at least the goofiness helps to identify those who plan on filming the people around them :p