Snapshot from a DVD

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by fscarpa, Mar 19, 2009.

1. fscarpa macrumors regular

What would be the simplest way to take a snapshot of a certain scene of DVD movie? Have no idea. Step by step, please. Thanks.

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Command Shift 3?

3. fscarpa thread starter macrumors regular

While watching the movie with which app?
    It didn't work with DVD Player (is says I have to turn off DVD Player first)

4. Fomaphone macrumors regular

i'm a cinema student and i often take caps for papers (i also keep a large collection of them for my screen saver slide show.) ... i do this all the time with a program called Capture Me, which i found free on versiontracker.

the way it works best is if you have your movie playing, pause it, hit esc, get capture me open/resized to the area you want to cap, and then double click on the video window (make sure that at least an edge of it is out side of the capture me window when not full screen) to full screen, then click inside the CM window to grab your snapshot.

i was just doing this with Inland Empire when i took a break to read the forum.

5. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

6. FilmEditorGuy macrumors newbie

Try the mac program called DVD Snap. It is very inexpensive and is able to take high quality stills from dvds.

7. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Just use VLC. It is free and takes decent stills. Keep it around for playing media too as it is generally better than Quicktime.

8. Fomaphone macrumors regular

if by "better" you mean "less stable"... but it does play a wider variety of formats

9. fscarpa thread starter macrumors regular

10. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Less stable? It has worked perfectly for me for over 3 years.