Snapz Pro X, Quicktime Pro and iMovie question...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Pandaboots, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Pandaboots macrumors regular

Pandaboots

I'd like to upgrade to QT Pro for the ability to save QT movies on the internet. I really like all of Apples ads these days and would like to save them and there's also other QT movies I come across from time to time I'd like to save for whatever reason. However, $30 seems a little steep just for this function.

If I were to use Snap Pro X to record a movie of my screen while a QT movie was playing, how does that affect the quality and size of the movie playing on my screen? The Christmas ad on Apple's website for example - if I were to save that with QT Pro it would it be the normal size as intended and be xxxMb filesize. However if I used Snapz Pro X, would it be the same dimensions and filesize or does something get lost in translation. In other words is using Snapz Pro X the poor man's way to save a QT from a website? :D

I like to keep things simple so I want as few applications as possible to do as many tasks as I need. Also I see Snapz Pro X as a solution to record flash and other embedded videos on the web or record my own tutorials, etc.

Now as for the editing function, I've heard that iMovie forces a compression upon exporting whereas QT Pro does not force you to compress again after editing? Is this correct?

Sorry for the long post, but QT Pro just seems so archaic now since iPhoto (think slideshows) and iMovie (think title screens) do most of what QT Pro is designed to do. (except the ability to save certain QT movies) The QT player already allows full screen playback now, so I guess if iMovie truly is the better editor and Snapz Pro X allows me to record a movie screenshot at equal quality of the original, I think I know where I'll be typing in my credit card number soon. Let me know if I'm just completely missing something here or if I'm on the right track based on your own experience using these programs. In other words, convince me to buy QT Pro vs Snapz Pro X and using iMovie for basic editing. Thanks everyone.

2. numlock macrumors 68000

3. Pandaboots thread starter macrumors regular

Pandaboots

I still can't for the life of me figure out how to save to my hard drive when doing. If I right click it still shows the save option as grayed out as QT Pro and the file save as... is grayed out too.

4. numlock macrumors 68000

it depends on the site if and how you can get the url for the download. But in this case i am using the latest safari. I go to apple.com and right click on "see the ad" and copy link. Then i paste that link in mpeg streamclip.

5. Pandaboots thread starter macrumors regular

Pandaboots

ok..gotcha...but doesn't allow me to save to hard drive. Anyway, I guess I was just wondering if taking a video screenshot with Snapz Pro X would be as good as saving the quicktime file itself. Thanks

6. numlock macrumors 68000

When the videoclip has downloaded and you can watch it in mpeg streamclip you should be able to save it to the hard drive or export it in various formats.

The quality i think should be better than recording that particular screen activity as well as less time consuming and not as cpu intensive.

Quicktime pro has a lot of nice functions and in turn mpeg streamclip does as well. Its a highly underrated application in my view