Sneaky iPhone pricing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tacload, Oct 7, 2011.

1. tacload macrumors member

So I was thinking about it... Last time around, the 4 was $200 / $300 for 16GB and 32GB respectively. Now it's $200 / $300 / $400 for 16, 32, 64.

I would bet that in the next phone or two, the 16GB will be dropped and the top end might end up with a 128GB version at $500 (with the other pricing staying the same). Apple is slowing turning up the heat on the price, and we're not jumping out of the water. Pretty good tactic to raise the cost without people realizing it. ;)

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

This logic didn't apply to ipods back in the day. Just saying

3. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

As time goes on, technology becomes cheaper.

If Apple were to drop the 16GB option it would be because the 32GB costs the same amount the 16GB used to cost.

4. SooneratND macrumors regular

With the introduction of iCloud, I doubt the increase in memory size will continue.

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Are Those Non Contract Prices?

Pretty good if they are.....Here in the UK we do have more choice of providers, but I alway's buy contract free from Apple. My 4 is immaculate, and friends are fighting each other to buy it from me....I don't normally sell my Apple stuff,but I guess You can only use one phone at a time:)

6. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

It will. Remember, the first iPhone only had 4GB, 8GB and 16GB options.

7. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

The first iPhone also didn't have 5MB and 8MB cameras along with 720 and 1080 HD recording ;)

8. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Right, which further proves why the capacities will have to increase over time.

9. tacload thread starter macrumors member

Exactly, so the price for more stuff should come down. The cost of flash memory is dropping like a rock... just look what a thumb drive used to cost 2 or 3 years ago. I understand that the 4S has more technology than the 4, but the prices stayed the same. For example, if they do drop the 16GB for the iphone 5, I could see them keeping the 32GB at $300.

10. SooneratND macrumors regular

I don't think you understood my point. Yes, the iPhone memory size has been increasing over time. This is because people needed more space as they got more music, apps, videos etc. However, Apple is now introducing a new system that they have invested heavily in that will reduce the need for much of this space. You'll be able to grab stuff from iCloud as you need it, rather than keeping stored locally on your phone's memory all the time.

11. tacload thread starter macrumors member

Hopefully you have wifi or a high data tier plan... storing everything in a cloud will get expensive with data overages. Something has to give eventually.

12. SooneratND macrumors regular

Wifi in most places I go, plus the grandfathered unlimited plan. I'm good to go.