Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BEET

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
Guernsey, Channel Islands
Hello.
I think some sneaky begger has been using my business computer. Does anyone know if I can find details on my G5 about what programmes and when they were used? I know how to check the recent items, however no times are listed.

thanks....

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
You could turn on the accounting facility to do that. For Tiger, first you need to set it up. At the terminal:

sudo mkdir /var/account
sudo touch /var/account/acct

To start logging what programs are run, the command is

sudo accton /var/account/acct

To stop logging:

sudo accton

To see what has accumulated in the log, you can use the lastcomm command. Entries are added to the log when programs quit. Carbon apps may only be logged as "LaunchCFMA".

The above won't really tell you what someone did, but it will let you know what was launched.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Why not just set up a password to login or on the screen saver?

BEET

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
Guernsey, Channel Islands
cool. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

iMeowbot said:
You could turn on the accounting facility to do that. For Tiger, first you need to set it up. At the terminal:

sudo mkdir /var/account
sudo touch /var/account/acct

To start logging what programs are run, the command is

sudo accton /var/account/acct

To stop logging:

sudo accton

To see what has accumulated in the log, you can use the lastcomm command. Entries are added to the log when programs quit. Carbon apps may only be logged as "LaunchCFMA".

The above won't really tell you what someone did, but it will let you know what was launched.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.