Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Just curious, but does the app offer a way to set sort order based on Category, or only globally? I think it's globally, but I'd love it if it were possible to have sort order unique per Category. Maybe in v3.5?

Thank you very much for your positive feedback! :)

Reactions: max2

FelixII

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
Germany
Just curious, but does the app offer a way to set sort order based on Category, or only globally? I think it's globally, but I'd love it if it were possible to have sort order unique per Category. Maybe in v3.5?

Yes, that's a good idea. :) Currently, you can choose between chronological and alphabetical order. But it's a global setting for all categories. I will try to implement this in a future update.

Reactions: max2 and Paco II

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
A 'fun' feature request (which means low priority). Along with app themes, it would be fun to have an assortment of matching color icons to choose for the home screen app icon. If you do consider it, have the icon selection be independent from theme selection.

FelixII

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
Germany
A 'fun' feature request (which means low priority). Along with app themes, it would be fun to have an assortment of matching color icons to choose for the home screen app icon. If you do consider it, have the icon selection be independent from theme selection.

That's already possible. :) Tap on the three dots, open settings, and select "Tip Jar" at the top. I've just released a new TestFlight update, which includes updated versions of all the alternative app icons.

Reactions: Paco II

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
This one's definitely another feature request once you've nailed down the next big update. I'd love to see small sized widgets for each one of these options. I know there is the medium sized widget that include four of them, but having small sized widgets for each one that I could Stack would be amazing, to be able to quickly launch the app and go straight to the selected action.

1be2702a239ad7151b750038b25b8378.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: FelixII

FelixII

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
Germany
This one's definitely another feature request once you've nailed down the next big update. I'd love to see small sized widgets for each one of these options. I know there is the medium sized widget that include four of them, but having small sized widgets for each one that I could Stack would be amazing, to be able to quickly launch the app and go straight to the selected action.

Thank you, that's a very good idea! I already have plans to make the shortcuts widget configurable. A small widget for a single shortcut will be a great addition.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
When using the sharesheet to share to SnipNotes, is it possible for the last used category (in the sharesheet, not the app) to be default selected? It would make sharing a bunch of items with the same desired category easier to share.

Last edited:

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
I'm just going to keep adding requests here. Feel free to ignore

For map links, I'd love to be able to choose my preferred app to launch when clicking a link from the app (Google Maps, Waze, etc). Sadly I don't think Apple will let us choose a default map app ever.

Last edited:

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
For the 'More' actions, specific to the Mail action, consider changing that to 'Send a note with email' (or something more generic like that) and use the mail app that is set as default. And I'm speaking to iOS 14 which allows setting default mail app.

FelixII

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
Germany
Hi,

thank you very much for your feedback! :)

When using the sharesheet to share to SnipNotes, is it possible for the last used category (in the sharesheet, not the app) to be default selected? It would make sharing a bunch of items with the same desired category easier to share.

Currently not, but that's a good idea. I've noted it for the next update.

I'm just going to keep adding requests here. Feel free to ignore

For map links, I'd love to be able to choose my preferred app to launch when clicking a link from the app (Google Maps, Waze, etc). Sadly I don't think Apple will let us choose a default map app ever.

This feature is a little hidden. Open settings, go to "Swipe Actions" => "Configure Default Actions" => "Location" and select your favorite maps app.

For the 'More' actions, specific to the Mail action, consider changing that to 'Send a note with email' (or something more generic like that) and use the mail app that is set as default. And I'm speaking to iOS 14 which allows setting default mail app.

Yes, I wanted to revamp and simplify the note actions in this update but didn't have enough time left. These changes will come soon.

Running the latest release and this is what it looks like on series 6. It looks like it needs to be moved down a little.

Yes, I'm going to fix a few watch issues in the next TestFlight update.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Thank you for pointing that out! In my use case I was trying to open maps links I had added as notes, so looking in swipe actions settings didn't even occur to me

This feature is a little hidden. Open settings, go to "Swipe Actions" => "Configure Default Actions" => "Location" and select your favorite maps app.

FelixII

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
Germany
Thank you for pointing that out! In my use case I was trying to open maps links I had added as notes, so looking in swipe actions settings didn't even occur to me

Yes, this is because the setting is also used for the blue button that appears when you swipe left on an address note. I know it's a bit confusing, and I will revamp these settings soon.

FelixII

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
Germany
SnipNotes 4 is now available as a free update on the App Store! A huge thank you to all beta testers who helped me with improving the new features! ?

ipad-iphone-watch.png

SnipNotes 4 revamps the app for iOS 14:
  • You can add multiple widgets to your home screen. There are different types of widgets available for quick access to categories, individual notes, and various shortcuts.
  • SnipNotes now uses a three-column layout on the iPad. On the iPhone, the app is easier to use with one hand. You can swipe to reveal the category list, and frequently used controls are now located at the bottom.
  • Many areas of the app have been modernized for iOS 14. There is a new color picker, date picker, and image picker. The dark mode adapts better to iOS.
  • The app icon has a new look, too. There are eleven different color variants available in the tip jar.
  • You can now long-press on notes and categories to access frequently used actions.
You can download SnipNotes for iOS on the App Store and SnipNotes for macOS on the Mac App Store.

If you have any questions or feedback, please feel free to reply to this thread.

Last edited:

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Congratulations on the release! You should consider a new post to reflect the new version.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Another low priority request: I appreciate the Face ID/Lock feature. I'd love an additional option to have the app lock only after xx minutes, like 1/5/10 minutes. As fast as Face ID is, when I am bouncing between SnipNotes and another app, I'd love to not have to deal with that minor unlock delay.

FelixII

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
Germany
Hi,

I've just released another update, which incorporates a lot of your widget requests and ideas. :)

snipnotes-v41-teaser-en.PNG

• You can now add a large note widget and a small shortcut widget to your home screen.
  • The widget shortcuts are configurable, and there are new actions available, e.g. to save your current clipboard.
  • When you tap a note in the widget, you can now automatically copy it to the clipboard. This option is available in the note and category widgets.
  • The note widget now displays checkboxes.
  • The share sheet will remember the last used category.
  • The Apple Watch app supports watchOS 6 (again).
This update also fixes a lot of bugs and crash issues. Thank you very much for your numerous reports!

You can download SnipNotes for iOS on the App Store and SnipNotes for macOS on the Mac App Store.

Last edited:

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
When you tap a note in the widget, you can now automatically copy it to the clipboard. This option is available in the note and category widgets.

I’d like to propose an enhancement to this. I use some music player widgets that mimic widget interaction by having the app immediately close after tapping an action in the widget. This gives the impression that tapping the widget has, for example, skipped to the next song. My proposal is an option to have this same functionality when using this automatic copy to clipboard setting. Don’t just take me to the app, but immediately close the app, which gives the experience of tapping a note and now I remain in the widget with that note copied to clipboard.

FelixII

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
Germany
That's a cool idea. Could you give me an example of such a widget? I can terminate/crash the app, but I'm not sure if there is an official way to put apps into the background programmatically. ?

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
That's a cool idea. Could you give me an example of such a widget? I can terminate/crash the app, but I'm not sure if there is an official way to put apps into the background programmatically.

Check out Marvis or MusicView.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
@FelixII Launcher app also has a url scheme that does the same thing. launcher://crash. So maybe you can ask the dev what he’s doing for that. Also the dev for Marvis Pro is super nice so definitely reach out to him as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.