SNL - It's Funny Again

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rdowns, Nov 17, 2008.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I just watched Saturday's show and it was pretty damn good. It's actually funny again. This skit had me in tears. :D

2. 119576 Guest

3. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I think maybe it's good only because Paul Rudd is on it and he's always funny.

4. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

I disagree. I thought the last episode (the beginning at least, I couldn't force myself to watch the last 20 min. or so) was almost complete trash... they relied on 'shock humor' much the same that South Park has been lowering itself to lately with people shooting themselves in the head, and sharting themselves in every episode, etc.

This humor is pretty low-intelligence in my opinion... I didn't enjoy it at all.

5. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Try this site, it's the 4th video down.

6. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

SNL has been better recently. I think they finally found a team of writers and young comics who could work together well.

I think it's still off from its glory days, but definitely a lot better than what we had the last two or three years.

7. RamblinWreck macrumors regular

RamblinWreck

I agree. SNL skits seem more like MadTV skits than SNL skits of old.

...though this skit is better than the average one they have now.

8. Surely Guest

Surely

When you really think about it, SNL has never really been consistently good. For as long as I can remember (at least 20 years), people have always complained about how not-funny it is. Always. Even in the Sandler-Farley-Spade-Myers-Carvey-Hartman hayday. I doubt that there are more than a handful of full episodes where you said: "now those 90 minutes of skits- that whole show- was awesome. Every skit."

I think people forget about all the really really bad skits through the years when they see those "Best Of...." episodes or DVDs. I mean, when you break down years of a show into a 60-90 minute compilation of Best of Adam Sandler, Chris Farley, Phil Hartman, Mike Myers, Dana Carvey, Will Ferrell, even Eddie Murphy or John Belushi, of course it'll seem like the show was totally awesome "back then". But honestly, I've seen many full episodes from the 70's, 80's, 90's, and from this decade, and it's hard to sit through a whole show without thinking "lame".

I guess my point is that SNL seems more relevant now because of all of the election skits, but it'll go back to "SNL sucks" and "when will it be canceled" soon enough. The opening political skits from the past couple of months have been funny, but then, after the monologue, it's pretty much downhill.

I didn't see this Saturday's show, but if it was great, then I'd say that it's the exception and not the rule. And probably due to the guest host. I'm just saying that I don't think that it's any more funny now than it has ever been.

Paul Rudd is one funny MFer though.

9. Xavier macrumors 68020

10. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Thanks for sharing rdowns. I didn't even know Paul Rudd was hosting last week - I'm a huge fan.

I hate to say it, but Justin Timberlake kind of rules. He's pretty fearless doing comedy, and he's good at it. He's somehow self depreciating and egotistical at the same time.

11. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

SNL stopped being funny about 5 years ago. It hasn't been funny since.

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I have to admit, I enjoy watching him on SNL. He has good comedic timing.

SNL has gotten better the last 2 seasons. I think the cast is starting to find a rhythm together.

13. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

I miss the days of Chris Kattan, Will Ferrell, Maya Rudolph, Tracy Morgan, Molly Shannon and Tina Fey. That is when I first started watching SNL and those were good times!

When that crew left, the years following weren't too good. I agree that the current cast seems to be finding some chemistry together. I think of the current cast, Kristen Wiig, Bill Hader and possibly Will Forte will have good success.

Seth Meyers = yawn

14. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

He's the head writer of the show.

15. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

There are some genuinely funny skits coming out of SNL. Most of it is on Hulu. Did anybody see the spoof on the CNN video wall?

16. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

17. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

Hmmm, I wasn't aware of that. Aside from the "Really?!" skits, Seth puts me to sleep.

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You're right, the show was never good. People ALWAYS said, "It used to be so much better."

19. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

This was the first time since 1992 that it was funny.

20. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Kristen Wiig=Hilarious

The show has always had it's moments, regardless of the cast. It may not be the funniest show every show,but it's always had at least one skit/moment/line that keeps me coming back week after week.

21. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

22. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

I've been watching it from the VERY beginning and people have ALWAYS said it was better 5 years ago. Weird.

mt

23. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I've been watching for nearly 20 years and nothing will ever beat the early to mid 90's.

Ahh... Those were the days. A great episode of SNL that was guaranteed to make you laugh followed up by an episode of American Gladiators that was also guaranteed to make you laugh, but for completely different reasons. :D

I actually watched most of this last Saturday's episode (because a guy I sort of know was an extra in the suicide jumper skit, which wasn't funny at all), and the episode didn't really didn't do it for me. I laughed at Timberlake, but that's because the guy's hilarious. I can't stand his music, but I can't help but laugh with him. Mike Teezie said it best; he's self depreciating and egotistical all at the same time. He seems to be very comfortable regardless of the setting.

I couldn't stand the Ferrell, Kattan and Shannon era. Actually, that was when I stopped watching.

It definitely has a generational thing going though.

24. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

I always thought of Lorne Michael's "Kids in the Hall" to be consistently funny.

Thanks, Lorne!