Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LocalStreetHero

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2009
Hello,
I've been in and out of these forums since last December. I bought my first MacBook and I couldn't be happier. Best computer ever! I am never going back to PC, and I'm trying to convert the rest of my family. I am starting with the most difficult hill to climb first, my father. He just barely learned how to download music and burn CDs this year. My mom just needs to send emails and pay bills online. So for fathers day, I bought my dad a used show white iMac G3. I can't believe how fast it is. He thought it came from space, but was excited. He's not tech savvy in any way, but he is trying and is slowly learning. I'm trying to get it as close to what he's use to, and there is the problem.

He knows what FireFox looks and feels like, but I cannot install it. I download the program, "install" it, but I can't load it up. I click on the icon and it bounces up and down in the dock and then fades away. Its like the feeling you get when your car is about to start and dies down. I have no idea what to do. I'm only 7+ months into Mac's, so I could be missing something simple...maybe? I've check the permissions on firefox and allowed everyone to read/write but nothing I can think of anything else. Please help.

Also, I've been searching and searching for this one, but I have no idea how to word it and I'm coming up nothing. Since I can't run firefox, I'm teaching the old man to use safari. He could eventually learn it, but even I prefer firefox. That's another story for another time. Any ways, the problem with Safari on his G3, even after every possible update (I think), every layout on every page is totally off. When I click on Safari and the apple home page comes up, some icons are cut in half, the bottom bar with the list of links is towards the middle, and side bars are just messed up. Pages like craigslist come up with a harsh fully aligned left layout. Other pages have words stacked on other words so its impossible to make out whats going on. My mom was going crazy because she couldn't figure out how to log out of her bank account (kinda funny). I've tried Displays on the iMac, I've tried View on Safari, messing with text size, ect, nothing has helped me. I don't know what to do here either.

If anyone can help me with either of these problems, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm sorry my first post is a cry for help, but I'm so new, I don't know how I can contribute to the forums just yet. I'm learning FCP every day and loving my mac more and more. So hopefully in the future I can be of some assistance to others.

Thank you in advance.

zmttoxics

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
If this machine is running Panther, you can still install Mac Ports (google) and install Firefox through that. Though it may take a day (or 2) to compile.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Does Mozilla still allow you to download Firefox 2.0? They did a little while ago.

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
You didn't mention the specs on the iMac G3, nor what version of OS X you are running.

I would personally recommend you upgrade the ram to at least 512mb, upgrade the HDD to something newer (if you haven't already), and install Tiger. This will allow you to run the latest version of Safari.

Also, I would recommend you use Safari over Firefox on a G3 mac. I've tried both on my iMac G3, and Safari easily runs twice as fast as Firefox. For that reason alone, I can only recommend you stick to Safari.

As for why it doesn't launch, are you sure you copied Firefox from the archive into your applications? You aren't trying to run it directly from the disk image, correct?

LocalStreetHero

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2009
Sorry, while I was at work I realized I didn't mention which OS it had nor the specs. I don't live where the iMac is, and I don't know what they are off the top of my head. OS X for sure, but i'm not sure which exactly. And yes I believe I drug firefox into my Apps.

Thanks for the responses fellas, I appreciate it. I will check the specs soon tonight and hopefully post them up. I have to run back to my parents house and get ready to do an engine swap on my track car :(
But I will get back to you guys ASAP.

track09

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2009
You didn't mention the specs on the iMac G3, nor what version of OS X you are running.

I would personally recommend you upgrade the ram to at least 512mb, upgrade the HDD to something newer (if you haven't already), and install Tiger. This will allow you to run the latest version of Safari.

Also, I would recommend you use Safari over Firefox on a G3 mac. I've tried both on my iMac G3, and Safari easily runs twice as fast as Firefox. For that reason alone, I can only recommend you stick to Safari.

As for why it doesn't launch, are you sure you copied Firefox from the archive into your applications? You aren't trying to run it directly from the disk image, correct?

This is truth. I used to run OS X 10.3.9 on a G3 333 with 160 MB Ram. (It's now a dedicated classic box). Safari ran WORLDS faster than Firefox. My guess is that the older 1.3.x version of Safari is lighter on resources. Firefox may be resource intensive, causing disk swapping.

LocalStreetHero

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2009
ugh tired, just pulled an engine out, but here are the some specs:

Memory: 384
Processor: 600 mhz PowerPc
Mac OS X 10.2.8

Anything else? Whats the max memory I can put in this machine? Thanks again.

LocalStreetHero

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2009
IMO, Opera 8 runs best on G3's like that. It's a usable browser for sure.

Nice, I'll check that out. At this point, I'm going to upgrade the ram, but I'd rather not put too much money into the machine. I would like to get everyone G4/G4 Macs so we can all understand each others computers. So teaching the old guy to use Opera will be better right now. I'll look into Opera 8 asap. thank you!

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
Nice, I'll check that out. At this point, I'm going to upgrade the ram, but I'd rather not put too much money into the machine. I would like to get everyone G4/G4 Macs so we can all understand each others computers. So teaching the old guy to use Opera will be better right now. I'll look into Opera 8 asap. thank you!

The Opera 10 beta is out, and it lets you do stuff with other people running it, opening private chat rooms etc. Sounds cool and could be helpful for you.

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
That machine can take a max of 1GB of RAM, in 2x 512mb sticks. Its PC100/133 ram only, low density sticks.

My iMac G3 only has 384mb of RAM and its usable under Tiger, so for now I wouldn't worry about RAM. Yes, you do have to buy a copy of Tiger, aka Mac OS 10.4. You can probably buy a used copy on ebay for $20.

Is the original HDD in there, or something newer? Those old 20gb drives are slow and clunky by todays standards. If you have a newer, say 80gb IDE laying around (i have tons), you can pop that in there and get a nice speed boost in loading apps. Once you're running 10.4, you can upgrade to the latest version of Safari and all your problems should be solved.

LocalStreetHero

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2009
That machine can take a max of 1GB of RAM, in 2x 512mb sticks. Its PC100/133 ram only, low density sticks.

My iMac G3 only has 384mb of RAM and its usable under Tiger, so for now I wouldn't worry about RAM. Yes, you do have to buy a copy of Tiger, aka Mac OS 10.4. You can probably buy a used copy on ebay for $20.

Is the original HDD in there, or something newer? Those old 20gb drives are slow and clunky by todays standards. If you have a newer, say 80gb IDE laying around (i have tons), you can pop that in there and get a nice speed boost in loading apps. Once you're running 10.4, you can upgrade to the latest version of Safari and all your problems should be solved.

sweet, thanks for all the extremely helpful info! I just installed Opera 9.something and its much improved. I bought the machine used so I would imagine all the internals are stock. It will suit our needs for now. Thank you guys for everything. 1st round is on me.

auto123

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2008
you can still download firefox 2 for it from a vintage software website, just google it and you will get multiple results. or you can install tiger and run firefox 3.5.

firefox 2 and 3 run at the same speed, except flash 9 runs faster than flash 10, that's all you need to know.

also mac is not religion, so you don't need to "convert" your relatives (what's not easy about a start button, I don't get you guys)
-Tyler

LocalStreetHero

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2009
you can still download firefox 2 for it from a vintage software website, just google it and you will get multiple results. or you can install tiger and run firefox 3.5.

firefox 2 and 3 run at the same speed, except flash 9 runs faster than flash 10, that's all you need to know.

also mac is not religion, so you don't need to "convert" your relatives (what's not easy about a start button, I don't get you guys)
-Tyler

woot woot, lets start the holy war lol.

I have to "convert" them because they don't use macs and they believe all computers were created equally. So when they're looking for a new machine, if they're all the same, they're going to get the cheapest one possible. Until they're "converted", they'll keep making the same mistakes, i mean purchases, year after year. Totally off track, but that's what I mean by switching them over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.