snow jeopardy!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by salacious, Oct 10, 2011.

1. salacious macrumors 6502a

so i plan on getting the iphone 4s, but it seems to me that to get the most out of the phone i would need to upgrade to lion? i dont want to use lion just yet, is there a way i could have half snow/lion during boot up? under no circumstances do i want to get rid of snow leopard..

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Umm, what? You can either upgrade to Lion, or stay with Snow Leopard, but there's no middle ground. The iPhone 4S requires 10.5.8 or higher with iTunes 10.5 or higher, so I'm not sure why you think you need Lion, though.

jW

3. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

I'm assuming you are referring to the iCloud stuff. I heard somewhere that at least some iCloud functionality will be implemented on SL, but not positive that is true.

You should be able to either use boot camp to dual-boot, or you can run Lion under a VM.

4. salacious, Oct 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2011

salacious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Of course there is a middle ground, please dont give out information that you dont know about.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There is no middle ground when you're talking about installing an OS. You either fully install Snow Leopard or Lion. You cannot have a partial install of an OS just to enjoy some of its functionality.

6. simsaladimbamba, Oct 12, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011

simsaladimbamba

You could partition your Snow Leopard partition via Disk Utility, and then install Lion onto the new partition, unless that is not the middle ground you are looking for.
    There are other means to, like an external HDD, where either SL or Lion can be installed upon to.

PS: Mal was telling the truth, though it may not seem that way to you.

PPS: If that is not what you want, I don't know, as even other OSs don't allow that kind of behaviour.

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

As others have noted, I do in fact know what I am talking about here. I'm an Apple Certified Support Professional too, I better know what I'm talking about or I'll be out of a job! (Granted, my job performance isn't related to this forum, but it still means I have to keep my knowledge accurate and current.)

Also, insulting people who try to answer your questions is a good way to get yourself no help at all. Try being polite and grateful, and you'll usually find good help on this forum. Be... well, like you're being so far, and you'll quickly be ignored, if you don't get yourself banned for insults.

jW