Snow Kitty really for NEW [enter iPad's real name here]?!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Santabean2000, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

Just my opinion, but I'm really thinking our new friend little Snow Cat was designed specifically for a new, yet to be released, range of devices in mind.

Yes, the iMacs & MBPs of this world will get some benefit from this too, but consider this:
    * the small footprint, not a big deal for a 250GB MBP, but a massive advantage on a relatively small SSD...
    * offloading tasks to the graphics to release the CPU to do other, pretty useful for small light-weight processors...
    * enhanced multicore awareness, again good for light-weight procesors
    * highly adjustable soft keyboard option included, resize your own to fit you hand size...
    * [anyone else? - add more examples here]

Bring on Q1 2010, then I believe the new Cat will really be able to get its claws out.;)

2. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

Nice points here :)

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

True, but extra space is nice for everyone, not just SSD owners. Apple sells only 128GB and 256GB SSDs which are big as a standard

Real benefit is for Mac Pro users. GPUs in other Macs aren't so powerful plus what's the real life benefit.

Again, mainly for Mac Pro because it has so many cores. Leopard was able to take advantage of dual core and most of the apps do. Not significant gain for dual cores.

Just my opinions :cool: Thinking about future, good points.

4. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

Don't spoil the fun! Let's have hope!

5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

The other points benefit everyone. The new soft keyboard is the interesting one. As is the pics a recent rumor showed of what was supposedly front row.
    There is a reason the icons go 512x512. Byond them looking amazing
    (check out the textedit text, a pkg's corrugated cardboard, System Preference metal sheen etc) - pinch and reverse pinch wi be used a lot for a tablet.

Other clues, I'd say would be iTunes icon view allowing pinching scaling, reduction of mouseover effects, apple.com and iTunes becoming more finger friendly a subtle move away from highly text and link centric pages to more text within clickable areas/clickable graphics and more use of coverfloe which really helps with 2 finger movement through a list.)
    I'd imagine there are more. iTunes update on the 9th will likely hint.

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Ergh, this "Snow Kitty" thing is bothering me so much.

People, can we PLEASE call it by it's correct name?

Spell it with me:

S N O W K I T T E H

But yes, these are valid points towards a tablet. Dock exposé is the first that I noticed when they showed it off. It's so much easier now for someone using a finger to drag a file from a Finder window to a Mail message, especially on a relatively small and possibly crowded screen.