Snow Leapord and the dual-graphics card MBPs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cohenben, Dec 19, 2008.

1. cohenben macrumors member

Is it even possible or does the hardware config prevent this (read below)?

What are the chances that Snow Leopard allows the dual-graphics card set-up in the new MBPs to run without 'logging out' - but instead a more fluid or even combined processing experience. If a basic OS update can change this, I'd say Apple hits the nail on the head. Otherwise, I'm from the camp that sees the dual-card set-up as it is right now a serious waste of my time. Having to log out every time I want to use Final Cut Pro in order to utilize the faster processor is Lame.

SIDE NOTE: I'd rather see room for a second internal HD than a second GPU. Think about that: A bay where I can swap additional drives easily. I'd keep multiple drives on hand for large video projects. Now that's an editor's laptop dream!

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

It's officially called "HybridPower". Yes, the hardware support is there:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/hybridsli_notebook.html

What's stopping it from being implemented is unknown. It seems Nvidia hasn't gotten around to getting all the driver support ready for it, so that may be part of it. Also, judging by the blue screen and black flash when the cards switch, it seems some core process to the GUI, like WindowServer or loginwindow (I'm not sure which one does what) needs to restart in order to switch GPUs.

So....maybe. Is it doable? I don't see why not. Will they? Who knows. It would make sense, but we've heard nothing either way.