Snow Leo and raid10. Possible?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Macinposh, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

So,slowly migrating form leo to snowleopard.

I have 2 indipendent systems in my mp, a raid10 and a single disk for maximum redundancy.

Now I tried to install the snowleo to the raid10 disk and it did not allow it to be installed into it,as it didnt did not show up.
    Now thinking,i recon it was the same thing when I upgraded from 10.4.11 as well,leopard would not install on the raid 10 disk.
    Instead i had to upgrade the single disk -> erase the raid -> ccc the system to the raid10 -> boot. That worked.

I guess it is the same thing this time around as well?
    Or have something drastically changed that the snowleo suddenly does not support raid10 disks at all. Just like Leopard was not supposed to be able to run raid10 disks...

2. goMac macrumors 603

Did you boot from the CD?

The trick is to run the upgrade while booted from the drive, not while running from the cd. Booting from the cd doesn't play nice with RAID, for whatever reason.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

4. Macinposh thread starter macrumors 6502a

It is basically the same pack that I created under tiger. Back then the diskutility didnt let me do but I could parse it together via Terminal.
    It let me create two raid1 stripes but putting them into one raid0 was a no go with disk utility.

5. Macinposh thread starter macrumors 6502a

goMac. Thanks,that did the trick...after 3 tries.

Now system is up and running. Now it is just time to start to check how the programs behave under 10.6.4.

Thanks.