Snow Leo. upgrade: Screen not working at ALL :-(

Discussion in 'macOS' started by PimpDaddy, Sep 14, 2009.

1. PimpDaddy macrumors 6502

Okay I really, really hope that somebody can help.

I tried searching for 2 hours here and on google but nobody seems to experience exactly the same problem as me.

I upgraded to Snow Leopard. I got the problem alot of other people has been having: The screensaver kicked in during the installation. But I read about this after I turned off the computer by holding the power button which means I must have turned it off while it was installing.
    Booted again and nothing on the screen. I got the chime but the screen was completely black(the flashlight trick didn't work, so the screen was totally off).

However it managed to finish the install after I turned on the computer again with the SL disc in the drive and giving it some time. It rebooted by itself and booted, this time with the screen on.

It booted up perfectly into 10.6 and I was happy. I thought I might just as well upgrade to 10.6.1 while I was at it, so I opened Software Update, downloaded the update and went ahead. I didn't reboot before doing this so this was done almost straight after it booted up in 10.6 the first time.

As far as I remember the screen changed to the 'starry sky' background while preparing to install and reboot.

But now I'm stuck: I'm back to where the computer boots with only the chime. I can hear that the fans, hard drive and disc drive works. More or less everything else but the screen turns on.
    I've tried the flashlight trick again with no luck.

I tried turning it off, taking out the battery and holding the power button for 10 seconds.
    I tried resetting PRAM by holding option, command, r and p when turning the computer on.
    I tried holding down shift while booting.
    I tried holding down C while booting with the SL disc in the drive.

Nothing worked!

Right now when I turn it on it seems like it boots into OS X(the keyboard light turns on). Then it turns itself off after 5 minutes, then wakes again 5 minutes after that... And just continuing this cycle.

I'm pretty lost here so I hope somebody can help me with this problem :(

Edit: It's the MBP in my sig. that exhibits the problem above.

2. PimpDaddy thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I saw that support document. But the thing is I think it seems VERY unlikely that the graphics would fail at just the moment I installed 10.6/10.6.1.

Especially considering I've never had any problems with the screen when running 10.5 and that many others have reported problems with black screens when installing 10.6.

So I still hope that somebody has a good suggestions as to what my problem could be other than the graphics failing(??), although I will certainly call Apple Support and see what they'll say about this.

3. Lumenark macrumors newbie

Macbook Pro screen not working

My MBP also got a dead screen last night while updating the OS leopard. I took it to my supplier this morning and they tested it in front of me and the logic board had failed on the graphics card. Apple are replacing it. I should get it back tomorrow.

Pretty happy with the turnaround timeline.

so JediMeister was right refer to: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377