Snow leopard - 10.6.0 - Speed Issues and Improvements

Discussion in 'macOS' started by helix21, Aug 29, 2009.

1. helix21 macrumors regular

The point of this post is so that other mac users thinking of upgrading to snow leopard have an idea of what they could face. I have performed a 'upgrade' from 10.5.8 to 10.6.0. This was not a clean install and it was performed on a late 2008 unibody macbook.

So installed snow leopard about half an hour ago and here are the following are my main niggles. But before that, can i say I am a bit annoyed that snow leopard infact made my mac slower. The installation took about an hour and the first bootup was surprisingly and painfully slow. I am talking a full 1.5 minutes from the time my wallpaper loaded to the time the dock loaded. The time taken to the blue screen was surprisingly fast but the stupidly long time for the desktop to appear more than made up for it. (I am willing to post a video for anyone that refuses to belive)

Here go the niggles:

All of them (referring to speed or otherwise) are noted after another restart because things generally tend to be sloppy on the first, automated reinstall

1. Expose and spaces (especially when using command- to switch spaces) have become quite a bit choppy. Expose is not that bad and i personally like the new one. The multitouch issue (4 finger one) exists but doesnt effect me because i am used to talking my hand off after the gesture

2. Quicktime X: No comparison with pro here, just QT7. The movie doesnt start when quicktime is launched and does even launch when you skip forward/back. It is very annoying that one has to always click the play button. Plus, it has no preferences what so ever. It also looses the double or triple size feature

3. Safari 4 and flash. Disastrous to say the least. Trying to watch youtube is nice switching on an electrical has hob. Within seconds your MBP can start cooking eggs on its backside. I switched to safari from firefox once it was announced it would get 64 bit but in my usage safari has become slower than it was in leopard. Add that with the flash disaster and the fact almost all ads are in flash plus adblock not working made me return to firefox where i am living in peace

4. Stacks. I am one of those very well millions who have their applications folder as a stack. Because of the large icons and the ability to scroll, you can only see the applications till 'F' before you need to scroll. In leopard i could see all but 2 applications

5. Overall the whole system is slower. An example is that itunes used to take 5 'bounces' on the dock to open from a cold boot, it now demands 9.
    Same can be said for just about any application. Dashboard widgets take ages to load

6. Quicksilver - a must have application for many now has a very annoying bug. If your working in multiple spaces and want to launch an application using quicksilver say in space 3 and previously launched one is space 1, launching quicksilvers opens it in that space (1) instead of the one you want to launch the program in (which you were initially in)

6. Animations all over have taken a hit, not only expose and spaces. For example something as simple as opening a finder window from the desktop and watching it zoom/spring into action is now either non existent or very choppy. Bear in mind this is on a unibody macbook with the 9400M GPU and snow leopard was supposed to improve graphics.

The good bits

1. Expose - even though a bit choppy, its integration with the dock and grid alignment has won me over

2. Microsoft office 2008 - finally works with expose and spaces. Brilliant addition for me

3. I gained back about 13GB of space

4. Date in the menu bar - small but welcomed

Now i dont want to put people off from upgrading from snow leopard. These issues, from what i hear and minor compared to the previous .0 releases and no disaster is striking during installation.

I have also heard that things speed up after a day or two of use with a newly installed operating system, in my case, i sincerely hope this is true. I am giving snow leopard a week to mends in sluggishness otherwise a clean install of snow leopard will be performed or a re-installation of leopard via the dvd that came with my mac

2. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

Please come back after a day or so and update. It's not surprising that the first boot after a new OS installation would take quite a while, but if it still takes a minute and a few days from now, I'd be alarmed.

mt

3. helix21 thread starter macrumors regular

Will do. Sure hope so but I DONT want to give snow leopard bad press. And all this is reported not on the first boot, but a reinstall after

4. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

1. From a clean install, I haven't seen people complain about choppiness in expose and spaces. I'd imagine if there are issues. 10.6.1 will coverthis.

2. You can use QT7 if you had it previously (though once you've installed Snow Leopard, you can't download QT7 and install it from apple.com afaik).

You get both. This is like iMovie vs iDVD. You get both, so use which one you want.

You can press the spacebar to start. you can use AirMouse to start.

3. Flash sucks. You can tell youtube with a firefox addon to use the h264 version.

5. I saw this a bit. Maybe it's indexing, getting things defragmented etc. Might takea qhile to pick up. I know personally me machines faster, after doing a clean install and adding the files back. Widgets always took a while to load for me (partly in getting the info from the net i guess).

iTunes with 5 bounces ain't bad. Remember it ain't Cocoa yet, there's an update coming with the iPod event, and likely will get updates separate to Snow Leopard event. It'll get better.

5. Personally, seen all of Apple's apps go much faster.

6. QS has alternatives - isn't it shifted to another programme they're working on? cmd-Space works as a shortcut for many progrmas through spotlight anyhow.

6. You can swap to the 9600 GPU on the unibody, right?

Hope some of this helps, if only the space bar press to start movies.

5. knightlie macrumors 6502a

My system is MUCH more responsive, and window animations are not choppy at all. They were in Leopard, very much so, on my Core Duo, but the whole system is much smoother now.

You shouldn't post your negative experiences as if everyone else will/does experience them.

6. helix21 thread starter macrumors regular

7. helix21 thread starter macrumors regular

Cheers for the space tip in quicktime, made things easier.
    Certainly hope these issues are sorted by alteast by .2 if not .1

8. ItsGavinC macrumors 6502

My system is MUCH more responsive after updating to 10.6.

iTunes opens in 3 bounces, but iPhoto is what I'm most impressed with. It opens in 1 bounce and then says "loading..." for about 1 second (only 8300 photos, though). Either way it's much better than before. iCal is also more responsive for me.

My finder is also much quicker. I'm VERY happy with this update, it's worked well for me. I liken it to going from my iPhone 3G to the 3GS. Speed improvements that are noticeable and I appreciate.

I'm on an original white MacBook (2.0 Core Duo) with 2GB RAM.

9. Ol!ver macrumors 6502a

I did a clean install and pulled my apps etc back from a Time Machine backup and I'm suffering from choppy spaces. I did a video using the very impressive screen recorder in Snow Leopard :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIn-z8Wq_ro

10. SimonJ macrumors regular

To the OP - I also have a late 2008 uMB and after upgrading, my system was the same as yours - jerky animations across the board (except for the genie effect), everything being slower. I decided to do a clean install, which solved all of those problems. My MacBook is now extra snappy! If you get tired of the choppiness (I did after about a day), you could give clean install a try.

11. Ol!ver macrumors 6502a

What about your apps and user files ? I did a clean install and used Time Machine for the apps etc - choppy as hell here.

12. SimonJ macrumors regular

I did only a manual backup of my stuff (well I don't have a spare hd for Time Machine anyway) so I had to put everything back by hand. I can only assume that whatever's causing the choppiness is a part of the time machine backup...

13. yettimillan macrumors regular

Hi, I have some of the same problems as you, especially iTunes, it is ridiculously slow.

Startup is slow, 4 finger touchpad is messed up and batter icon is messed up.

Not a clean install but tbh its more like a downgrade then upgrade.

14. helix21 thread starter macrumors regular

Give it time guys. I rebooted the thing twice and now the choppiness seems to hae substantially decreased. I am hoping the whole system is back to its full flow by tomorrow or monday. iTunes now incidentally takes 3 'bounces' instead of 9 or 5. Will edit the above post once everything gets sorted out

Loving snow leopard and its new features. Stacks for me eliminates the need for the finder now; expose and quicktime x are brilliant

15. acurafan macrumors 6502a

after installing, i reboot into safe mode, then reboot into normal mode again. i hear that safe mode clears off some cache folders...$.02