Snow Leopard 10.6.3 Login Screen cannot be changed problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BlackSnowz, Apr 30, 2010.

1. BlackSnowz macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I'm having a small problem when I wanted to change my wallpaper for the login screen. I already changed the wallpaper in System/Library/CoreServices/DefaultDesktop.jpg. But when I check back at my login screen, it is still the purple aurora background.

I tried repairing it using onyx through file permissions and also snow leopard disk utility repair disk. But my wallpaper still doesn't change.

I tried using Loginox last time when I just got my snow leopard, when I tried changing the wallpaper, it crashed on me and this problem arised. Is there anyway I can fix this?

Thanks in advance

2. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

Wow, interesting question. I wonder if OS X is using a cached version of the wallpaper? Maybe power down, remove battery, reset PRAM and then check to see if it changes?

3. BlackSnowz thread starter macrumors newbie

Hiya!

I tried your method, remove battery, reset pram. But it still shows the old wallpaper. :confused: The wallpaper I changed to is 2560x1600 by 8:5 ratio. Should be the correct size. Is there anything else I can do?

BTW - I still have my default wallpaper just in case :D

4. BlackSnowz thread starter macrumors newbie

5. noobsauce macrumors member

1. Open /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist
    2. Change the path of DesktopPicture to /System/Library/CoreServices/DefaultDesktop.jpg
    3. Put your file in the path mentioned above and restart your mac

Hope I Helped!

6. powerhouse7 macrumors regular

you could use a preference pane called "secrets". It has a utility to change it.