Snow leopard 10.6 not working after successful installation

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by rajcan2009, Jan 18, 2014.

1. rajcan2009 macrumors newbie

I installed snow leopard in my old MacBook 2006 (late; intel, core2duo) in the replacement 500 GB WD hard drive after formatting it to Mac Extended Journaled. Installation was successful, however the screen is non-responsive and there is no "hard drive icon" in desktop (nothing works there except clock is running and I can move the cursor). I did the installation through SATA Adapter, so my old computer is still running fine now, but current hard drive is too old to rely on. I need to replace it soon for the data safety. Please note that I'm using OSX 10.6.8 now. Any guidance on the cause and solution is highly appreciated. Thanks.

2. rajcan2009 thread starter macrumors newbie

No feedback

Nobody has any insights?....amazing!!

3. allthingsapple macrumors member

Do you see the menubar at the top of your screen? If so you can enable the hard drive icon on your desktop by clicking on Finder in the menubar, click preferences, click on the General tab and click on Hard disks and external disks.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

what partition map did you use? IIRC you need guid partition table..

5. rajcan2009 thread starter macrumors newbie

It is rather strange, but nothing is click-able.It means there is no response while clicking Finder or any of the icons. So I'm not able to perform any other remedy for it. It's kind of frozen snow leopard screen.

----------

I used the GUID Partition Table only.

6. rajcan2009, Feb 19, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014

rajcan2009 thread starter macrumors newbie

[​IMG]
    The OSX 10.6.3 was successfully installed from the DVD. This is the screen after booting. But it is frozen. There is no response to clicking any of the icon in the deck or in the menu bar. I can only move cursor. That's all.

7. Twimfy macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

Can you explain what you mean by this please?

8. rajcan2009 thread starter macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

I connected the internal hard drive (500 GB Western Digital) intended to install Snow Leopard, through USB cable of Startech USB 2.0 SATA/IDE to my laptop, as an external hard drive. Sorry for being vague. Probably the image above will make it clear.

I'm not installing it in my internal hard of use now, but to the new internal hard drive connected via USB port as an external hard drive.

9. Twimfy macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

Ok so there's a possibility that it's the USB connection crippling the performance some how.

Why not install to the new drive when it's in the machine and then connect your old one via USB to transfer data? Or am I mis-understanding something?

10. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Just finished working on niece's white macbook 7,1. I replaced the HD with Samsung 840 EVO 500GB, upgraded to Mavericks, and turned on trim. Boot time was cut from 1:03 to 0:25. Opening apps is much faster, more like a newer Air.

I plugged in the SSD via USB2, used Disk Utility to make one GUID partition. Then I boot into Recover mode and used Disk Utility to "recover" from Macintosh HD to the SSD. It took around an hour. I rebooted using Option key to select the SSD on USB as boot disk. That worked. So then I powered off and physically replaced the HD with the SSD. it booted right up. I upgraded to Mavericks and then used Trim Enabler to turn on trim.