Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DSchwartz88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 18, 2006
So im guessing all of you have seen the requirements for 10.6 Snow Leopard. If we compare the requirements listed in 10.6 and 10.5 we can notice a big difference in the language apple is using. for 10.5 it was: Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 (867MHz or faster) processor. for 10.6 it is an intel processor. The big difference here is not the fact that PowerPC support is being dropped but that fact that this requirement along with the "display attached to an apple supplied video card" suggests that with 10.6 is going to come Generic OSX for normal PC's. It would be a very "apple" thing to do to go through all these "enhancements" so no one is angry when they dont update anything pretty like the last updates but instead make it widespread and putting all their developers on that.

Just a thought....chime in....

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Those are the requirements for the developer preview DVD given to the WWDC attendees. I'd wait to see the official requirements for the final product before getting my knickers in a twist.

johngardiner

macrumors regular
May 13, 2008
I think it's important to remember this is early in the development stages, and that they could be working on PPC compatability, but don't want to seed it to developers yet. I bet in the end it's included.

kknupp

macrumors member
May 9, 2008
I think it's important to remember this is early in the development stages, and that they could be working on PPC compatability, but don't want to seed it to developers yet. I bet in the end it's included.

I agree, I don't think PPC will be dropped this time around. Maybe in 10.7.

Cachiro

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2008
Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar August 24, 2002 = $129
Mac OS X 10.3 Panther October 24 2003 = $129
Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger April 29 2005 = $129
Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard October 26 2007 = $129
Total= $516 in 5 years & they criticize Microsoft for been expensive, and all we get is a bunch of maintenance and put small applications to justify the charge of $129 every time.
And that assuming every body got Puma free like I did from Comp USA Store, My problem with apple now is that I got a good computer G5 2.0 perfect good computer. With them dropping this computer will mean that when they start upgrading there Pro application they will force you and me to upgrade to a new computer. Is always nice to have the new stuff but why when this comp still runs strong.

kabunaru

Jan 28, 2008
I could see Mac OS X being licensed to a single PC manufacturer like Sony. Apples and Sonys running OS X, just imagine...

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
developers have special non mac computers they can run mac software on, so thats what they mean by apple supplied video card

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
developers have special non mac computers they can run mac software on, so thats what they mean by apple supplied video card

No they don't. Before the 1st Intel Macs shipped there was transition hardware, but that was a one-off case and transition hardware had to be returned to Apple.

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007

Then Apple should make that clear. Time and time again they
allow negative speculation to spin out of control because they
won't say a blinkin' thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.