Snow Leopard (10A432) Golden Master ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mooon, Aug 11, 2009.

1. mooon macrumors newbie

2. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

GM with more than a month left before release?

3. Lordedmond macrumors regular

4. IT-Pro macrumors regular

According to a French website (Mac4Ever) this is indeed the case: Snow Leopard has gone Gold Master. They claim to have received information from multiple 'well informed' sources regarding Snow Leopard 10A432 being the final version.

This could make sense as we have not seen another seed since July 24th and Apple usually has released a new seed every 7-10 days. Since July 24th about 17 days have passed.

Besides, they need about 4-6 weeks for distribution and packaging to be ready for September. My guesstimate for a release date: Friday, September 25th as all Mac OS X releases have been on Fridays and around the end of the month as well.

5. Spankey macrumors 6502a

Windows 7 already went RTM. SL is due sooner than Win 7. Seems like we are there.

6. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Gold Master, I assume, is like the die for creating the OS.

It's been quite awhile since the last seed. I hope that there are two things: 1. 64-bit drivers for the GMA GPUs. 2. Some new UI tweaks.

7. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

8. IT-Pro macrumors regular

Probably, as Slashgear wouldn't have it when it hadn't been seeded. Likely it was only seeded to some people. Actually, Leopard GM wasn't seeded either, it was an internal build.

9. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

It was also mailed out in DVD form to select and premier ADC members. Both Leopard and Leopard Server. I still have mine.

10. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

11. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Off topic: What happens when you install a UB app in Snow Leopard... does the PPC code get stripped out automatically or are all third party apps still going to have the PPC binary in it?

12. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

That's a really interesting question that I hadn't considered. Curious to know this myself, but I'm guessing that you're stuck with the PPC code.

13. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Snow Leopard does have Rosetta, so I would assume the PPC binary stays

14. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I would imagine that, like the poster before me said, the application will still have the PPC code in it. Sure, stripping can be done easily enough, but why inconvenience people like me, who regularly use both PPC and Intel Macs, by making it impossible to simply move the app across computers?

15. MarkCooz macrumors 6502a

do you think we'll have another seed before the final release?

hmmm i mean sept. is only like 20/25 days away.

16. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I doubt it - for these reasons:
    1. The packaging/distributing process requires at LEAST 30 days to complete.
    2. We haven't seen a new seed in over 2 weeks.
    3. Apple normally quick-seeds builds for a while, then stops abruptly to prepare the final release.

17. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

I concur. But you have to admit, the number of people who frequently move apps between an Intel and PPC Mac on a regular basis must be fairly minuscule.

18. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

So Snow Leopard will be all Intel binaries but then downloaded apps will be Universal Binary? That kind of sucks. Hopefully we'll be able to delete the PPC binaries like we can do in Leopard.

19. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

In theory, you will be able to do this, in exactly the same way it is done in Leopard - but why bother? 90-99% of the size of most apps is comprised of resources, not executable code. Stripping PPC code isn't really worth it, EXCEPT for applications that require Snow Leopard - but those will have been pre-stripped by the developer. According to my calculations, the space saved by stripping unused architectures is almost always less than 1 MB... which I definitely consider to be not worth my time or effort.

20. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Can anyone confirm Photoshop CS3 working properly with Snow Leopard?

Or will Adobe have to release an "update" ?

Thank You

21. kcgunner macrumors member

22. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Photoshop opens, however, on both my MacBook and when I had SL on my mini, whenever I dragged one image onto another, or to another canvas, it froze.

CS4 works flawlessly, however.

23. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

No links to commercial software provided on these forums. Just go buy it in a month. It's only $29 you cheapo!!!!!!

24. pooryou macrumors 65816

You can always sign up for an ADC Select membership for $499 if you really can't wait...

25. kcgunner macrumors member

It's not the money. I just want to try it out now. i'd pay 100 for a copy now. :D