Snow Leopard 15 Inch MBP Disc on 13 Inch MBP?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jonross, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Jonross macrumors newbie

My 13 inch macbook pro's hard drive recently became corrupt, and i had to reformat the hard drive and install a new copy of the OS... The problem is, i cannot find my Macbook Pro 13 inch reinstallation discs for the OS... so.. would my brothers 15 inch MBP resintallation discs work on my 13 inch MBP?

The 13 inch was bought around August of 2009
    The 15 inch was bought in march of 2010.

Thanks! :D

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No, they won't work. Discs are machine and model-specific. You can buy replacement disks from Apple (call them) for not very much money (but I can't remember how much it is exactly).

3. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Just buy the 10.6/SL disc for $30 ... it provides the same functionality, but even more than the individual disk for your laptop.

4. marc.cizravi macrumors member

Not necessarily true, Apple WOULD have you believe this for licensing matters, but your brothers disc MAY work, and it's worth the try.

If you buy the standalone Snow Leopard disc and install, you won't be getting iLife 09 with it, so you would need to buy the Mac box set or 'borrow' the software from someone....

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Not licensing, but it is hardware specific. And the 15" MBP's model identifier is not the same as a 13" MBP. It won't work.