Snow Leopard - 1st Gen White MacBook won't read DVD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DarrenG, Sep 2, 2009.

1. DarrenG macrumors regular

Installed SL on MBP, no issues. However my 1st Gen White 13" MacBook won't mount the install DVD. It spins up and then after a min or so it ejects.

I can insert a data CD or a DVD film and they work, I've reset PRAM. Anything else anyone can suggest I try?

2. raggjarboffel macrumors newbie

got the same problem

I just got the Snow Leopard DVD today and it gets ejected after 1 minute and 8 seconds (yes I timed it :).
    When I try to burn DVD´s I get the dreaded "The device failed to calibrate the laser power level for this media" error.
    It will not read any movie DVD or burn anything, but it can read a music CD (tried just now with a 22 Pistepirrko CD). I haven´t tried much to fix this yet except the "voodoo trick" described here: http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=77414
    But this didn´t do the trick for me. Tomorrow I´ll by a can of compressed air and see if it helps to blow compressed air into the superdrive slot.
    This problem really pisses me off!

Btw, my machine is a MacBook that I bought 2-3 years ago, and it has got a MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-857D: Firmware Revision: KBVB. All updates are installed.

3. DarrenG thread starter macrumors regular

Well bu**er me, that Voodoo trick worked! What the he** has that got to do with OSX mounting the upgrade disk?

Figured I'll try anything and didn't honestly expect it to work but did as suggested in Post#9 and rebooted. Inserted SL Disc and hey presto.

Thank you!