Snow Leopard: 28 Days Later

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Richard1028, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

These are my problems with SL 10.6.1 after about a month now. In rank of importance to me:

1.) I can't get my external monitor to display the correct colors like I had on 10.5. Yes, I know Apple changed the gamma default but I can't seem to get rid of that violet/purple tint that's was a perfect blue at one time. The same profile I use under Leopard yields vastly different results under SL. I use a Spyder3 colormeter which worked just fine prior to my upgrade and gave perfect results. Deleted my icc profiles a number of times and started over from scratch. Still no success. Every once in a while I'll plug my external monitor in and the right colors will display for a few seconds then revert to the violet/purple.

2.) My CPU is definitely running 5-10 degrees (F) hotter. Consequently, fans are also spinning 500-750rpm faster compared to doing the same tasks under Leopard. (And no, I'm not interested in running 3rd party fan apps).

3.) Implementing Flash was never Apple's field of expertise but I think it's much worse on SL and seems to contribute to the CPU heat/fan problems mentioned above. While Safari has only crashed on me twice, both times it brought down the whole application instead of just the offending page. Once was while running in 32bit mode, the other in 64bit. I'm attributing this to OSX 10.6 because Safari 4 worked fine under Leopard.

4.) I had forgotten how much I missed the old Expose in Leopard compared to the new flavor. I just can't get used to having my puny 13” screen dedicate the lower half to minimized applications I don't care about. (That's why they're minimized). It's even kind of “choppy” now in comparison. The old Expose is smooth and flowing with nice big-assed windows.

I've been flipping between 10.5 and 10.6 when doing photo work so I can use my external monitor.

Since I upgraded to 10.6 right over Leopard, my next step is a clean, “scratch” install but in addition to just dreading this time consuming process I'm somewhat doubtful some of these things will change.

2. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

what type of speeds are your fans at right now?

3. dbwie macrumors 6502

2) My MacBook is also running 5-10 degrees F hotter, but its well within the specs for the computer, so I'm not worried. Also, there are no changes in my fan speed under normal usage (1995 rpm before and after installing SL).

3) Yes, flash does not seem to like Safari 4 in SL. Running Hulu through Safari will spike my temps and ramp up the fans more than in Leopard. However, this does not seem to be an issue for me using Firefox in SL.

Otherwise, I'm very happy with SL on my unibody MacBook. All of my third party apps are either updated for SL compatibility, and the handful that aren't work fine in Rosetta. Most general tasks are faster, especially startup and shutdown. I really like being able to minimize open windows into the dock icon. Expose changes are OK.

4. Richard1028 thread starter macrumors 68000

2200rpm, CPU @ 104 degrees (F). Flipping back to Leopard and coming right back to this same spot... 1800rpm @ 95 degrees (F).

Note: Though not scientific, I'm booting both OS's off of an external drive to make the comparisons. (i.e. I'm not using the internal drive as that would understandably inflate the CPU temps for SL).

I can certainly live with SL were it not for the color problems on my external monitor. It's been stable and there are things I like. (Annotations in PDF's for one thing.)

5. Riemann Zeta macrumors 6502a

At least it didn't turn your computer into a zombie. Brains, brains...

6. tivoboy macrumors 68030

memory

I find that the memory management is worse with SL than L. I used to be able to open FF, Safari, Mail, Slingplayer and my VMWARE XP instance, and still have about 500mb free. Now, I have nothing, and lots of spinning beach balls, which I honestly NEVER had before.