Snow Leopard: 32vs 64 bit kernel install

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kris2999, Aug 31, 2009.

1. kris2999 macrumors newbie

Hey,

Just wondering what the thoughts everybody was having regarding loading Snow Leopard with a 32bit kernel (i.e. "normal" install) or 64 bit kernel (i.e. holding down the "6" and "4" keys during reboot).

Should be getting my copy in the mail today/tomorrow and wondering which was the best way to go?

Cheers,
    Kris

2. coolbits macrumors member

Best way is: just install and dont worry about 32/64bit...

3. fishmoose macrumors 68000

All apps, as I understand it can be run in 64 bit even though your not running the 64-bit kernel, I've come to understand that you only need the 64-bit kernel if you have over 32 gig RAM.

4. Otaviano macrumors 6502a

Otaviano

This story about the 32 and 64-bit kernels was the worse possible piece of news that could have leaked.

Just use Snow Leopard as it is and forget about that silly business. Snow Leopard represent the insane advantage Apple has over Windows right now. They can release an OS that plants the seeds for future development and removes old and useless code.

There is a reason why the kernel hasn't gone 64-bit yet, and you are not going to get anything from booting in the 64-bit kernel. Let it be and let developers get to work. Then when everything is in place, you'll see that Apple turns the switch on the kernel.

5. Salty Pirate macrumors 6502

Salty Pirate

I booted into the 6 4 and Dahmmmmm

noticeably faster. Fusion will not work though. Needs to be 32 bit so the pop up says.

I have a mid-2009 15 MBP 2.53 GHz.

6. Salty Pirate macrumors 6502

Salty Pirate

also, my usb verizon air card only works in 32 bit mode.

I'm gonna say it again, this thing is way faster, noticeably faster when I boot into 64 bit mode. WOW

7. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

I wonder if that is only because some things didn't load since they are only 32bit?

8. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8